Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
I have been wearing my series 2 sport for just one week and noticed a large vertical scratch across the display. I have not to my knowledge hit it against anything. Obviously something happened but very surprised it's already scratched so quickly and I wonder what going to happen after years of usage. That limited scratch resistance is very disappointing and surprising. My last several iphones have not developed any scratches with no protection. Had my prior swiss army watch for 20 years with just a couple scratches. I don't have apple care. Called support and they said repair is >$200 which certainly is not worth it. Any thoughts on approaches to getting it replaced by apple? I would then put a screen protector on it.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I found a few scratches on my screen after a few days. I took it back to the swap and they switched it out for another one.

Not had a single mark on this now in 5 months.

My scratches were 4 small vertical marks on the corner. Perfectly spaced and perfectly straight so looked like a manufacturing defect.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
I found a few scratches on my screen after a few days. I took it back to the swap and they switched it out for another one.

Not had a single mark on this now in 5 months.

My scratches were 4 small vertical marks on the corner. Perfectly spaced and perfectly straight so looked like a manufacturing defect.

Thanks. Pretty sure it wasn't there out of the box. Just seems odd that with casual use for 1 week it already has a major scratch. Not so scratch resistant as they say I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 220

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Its most likely a scratch in the coating and not the screen itself. The screen is very scratch resistant, the coating on the other hand is not. Does the scratch rainbow? If not, then even more likely the coating.

Because AppleCare+ doesn't cover scratches, it might be worth getting AC+ so if your screen ever does crack, you can get a replacement for $69 instead of spending $200.

As for Apple replacing it for free, most likely won't happen.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks. Do they need to inspect it in store to add AC+ or can I do it online or by phone?

You can do it online or over the phone. They will run a diagnostic.

The diagnostic is smart enough to tell if the screen is cracked or other damage.

Reactions: DaveOP

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Looks a little deep to be in the coating. If you can feel it with your finger nail it is in the screen itself.

Do not see how the diagnostic program they run could see the scratch.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
Looks a little deep to be in the coating. If you can feel it with your finger nail it is in the screen itself.

Do not see how the diagnostic program they run could see the scratch.

I can feel it with my fingernail. Tried to buy AC+ online but after it checks my serial # and I hit "buy" I get a blank screen. Same result on chrome on windows, safari on OS X, safari on iOS. Will have to call or chat I guess.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
IF all else fails (via Apple), then put a screen protector over it. The protector will fill in the scratch somewhat and makes it disappear.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Can anyone recommend a screen protector? Looking for one that's as unobtrusive as possible. But the reviews of the various offerings are all over the place.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can anyone recommend a screen protector? Looking for one that's as unobtrusive as possible. But the reviews of the various offerings are all over the place.

IQ Shield was the best one I've used. Armor Suit was more difficult to install/cure, but they had better customer service. They are all a PITA because they are wet apply and curve around the screen. Any snag on a shirt and its done. I eventually said no more and took it off. 6 months gave me one scratch down the center, probably in the coating.

Reactions: mustang52

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Purchased AC+. Had to do it by phone. Will get a screen protector. Maybe I should let my kids play with it now. I would pay $69 to get a replacement.

AppleCare is the safest bet. Fortunately, you added it on in time. I personally feel screen protectors look cheap and cheapens the look of the Watch. But that's me. They do serve there purpose.

Last edited:

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
You have to have caught that on something.

I work with machines wearing mine and have knocked it off steel edges a couple of times, and even against iron I-Beams and I still have no scratches.

Although less resistant than the sapphire. It's similar to the iPhone screen.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I have the Armorsuit (both screen and body protectors). They all use mostly the same material. All are kind of a pain to put on, but I can say that now that it's on I can't even really tell it's there. And they have great customer service at Armorsuit. I often run with the watch and wash it off in the sink and wear it all day long and I haven't had any issues with the screen protector lifting off at all for the last month. The trick is getting it on correctly so that no part of the protector overlaps the case (can be tricky because initially the sides and corners won't stay down and it slides around a lot if you wet it well). And then you have to make sure it adheres properly around the edges. The trick I use is to let it dry a bit, for maybe a half hour, and then I take plastic Saran wrap and wrap it around the watch. This allows me to kind of pull tightly around all the corners and sides and then twist the plastic wrap behind the watch to keep all the corners in place while it dries for a day or so. Then I take the plastic wrap off, or loosen it a bit, so that it can cure further (if you wrap too tightly, it won't always dry as well because there isn't enough air flow).

But now that you have AC+, maybe don't even worry about it. Just enjoy the watch and use it well and perhaps get a replacement down the road.

And thanks for the reminder about AC+. I still needed to add it to mine. Tried the other day and the Apple site kept taking me to the British site and asking me to pay in Pounds. Weird. Couldn't get it to work right. Today I had no issues. Was able to run diagnostics through their site and purchase online.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You have to have caught that on something.

I work with machines wearing mine and have knocked it off steel edges a couple of times, and even against iron I-Beams and I still have no scratches.

Although less resistant than the sapphire. It's similar to the iPhone screen.

The glass on the Sport model is labeled as "Ion-X" glass. It's a similar type of material used on the iPhone screens as you mentioned.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
But now that you have AC+, maybe don't even worry about it. Just enjoy the watch and use it well and perhaps get a replacement down the road.

So will AC+ replace the watch for $69 + tax for a scratch? This isn't clear to me from reading the coverage.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
So will AC+ replace the watch for $69 + tax for a scratch? This isn't clear to me from reading the coverage.

That's a good question, and something I've wondered myself. Someone else should probably chime in. I thought that was the case but I'm not 100% sure.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
That's a good question, and something I've wondered myself. Someone else should probably chime in. I thought that was the case but I'm not 100% sure.

In the UK I was told that a scratch to an iPad or iPhone screen would not warrant a paid replacement under AC+ as it's considered wear and tear. I was told in not so many words that if I want a replacement for a scratch, then accidentally drop my device. Not sure if the watch is different?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.