Scratch protecting with spray-on rubber?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macstatic, Aug 8, 2014.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I believe it's possible to buy spraycans with liquid rubber, so I'm wondering if I could thoroughly clean my iPod Touch 4g, cover up all the openings, volume buttons etc. and use this to create a permanent rubber surface to prevent scratches and (to a certain degree) also protect against dropping it etc.
    I think you can even get transparent spray-on rubber (so as to see the Apple logo, model number etc. on the back).

Has anyone tried this or knows if it'll work (will it properly attach to the smooth metal surface of the iPod)?

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The coating might insulate too well and cause overheating problems.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Why not just get a clear gel case for the back? http://tinyurl.com/n6eq7zc

I've been using a clear Splash gel case since 2012. Great protection.

4. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually already have a Speck Candyshell, but as the thin section near the home button is about to break off I thought there must be something better which doesn't break. Hence the idea of covering the outer surface with something soft and nice to hold (not as slippery as the iPod Touch 4G itself). Is the clear case any different in terms of durability than what I already have?

5. ourmountain macrumors regular

Yeah. There is something better. It's called a case by someone other than Speck.

I honestly can't even fathom the thought process it took to decide that spraying rubber all over an electronic device would be a good idea in any reality whatsoever.

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I used to use the Incipio NGP cases and had no issues with quality. Go on eBay or Amazon and see if you can find one. The material is perfect -- with a soft feel, good protection for bumps, and not cheap feeling at all. Don't spray your device. That would be a disaster.

Actually, here -- only a few of each color left in stock (don't know if they ship to Norway, though):

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-touch...877680&sr=8-1&keywords=incipio+ngp+ipod+touch

7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I can understand the thinking behind it. You would end up with a very form fitting protective surface that adds little bulk.

The problem is the rubber sticking to the device. What might work is a layer of cling film first. Use a hairdryer as you apply it to shrink it around the corners so that there are no creases. Then apply the spray rubber. Then cut the openings for the ports and trim the edge.

No promises this would work, and try at your own risk. And have a practice on something else first (your broken case perhaps?)