Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigal616

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Is there a scratch remover for MBP aluminum shell? I've only found ones for the MB:confused:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If the scratch is of any depth, then no,not really, sadly.

I looked around when I scratched my PowerBook and couldn't find anything to completely cover up the scratch. You may be able to make it less visible, but you won't completely remove the scratch.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
My understanding was that the MBP's outer casing is made of real aluminum.

umm, I wouldn't be too sure of that. a lot of people think that the iPhone's backing is also made of aluminum which it's really not.

it's nothing more than highly finished aluminum colored plastic. the MBP's casing is the same way.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I'm sorry to add to the bad news, but I have had 5 different notebooks from Apple since they were produced in Al/Ti and they have all had scratches, to varying degrees of severity, and I have never been able to find a cost sensitive solution. There is always the option of getting replacement parts, but that can be tricky and costly. How bad are the scratches ?

bigal616

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
umm, I wouldn't be too sure of that. a lot of people think that the iPhone's backing is also made of aluminum which it's really not.

it's nothing more than highly finished aluminum colored plastic. the MBP's casing is the same way.

If it is colored plastic casing...anyone know of a scratch remover???

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006

Having taken apart a few of these bad boys and (as I am sure you have) felt the heat on these machines, they are quite definitely aluminum.

bigal616

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
I'm sorry to add to the bad news, but I have had 5 different notebooks from Apple since they were produced in Al/Ti and they have all had scratches, to varying degrees of severity, and I have never been able to find a cost sensitive solution. There is always the option of getting replacement parts, but that can be tricky and costly. How bad are the scratches ?

Only 1 on the back of the screen...pretty deep. There probably isn't anything that will remove it totally-but anything that would make it less visible would be GREAT

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
Having taken apart a few of these bad boys and (as I am sure you have) felt the heat on these machines, they are quite definitely aluminum.

I have also taken apart of few 17" MBPs and the ones I've seen on the inside look like the aluminum colored paint or dye wasn't applied evenly which clearly showed the color white on certain areas of the casing on the inside.

the last time I checked, aluminum doesn't normally come in white. lol :p

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Only 1 on the back of the screen...pretty deep. There probably isn't anything that will remove it totally-but anything that would make it less visible would be GREAT

Was it caused by a metal edge or what ? A very basic and safe step is to first take a soft barely damp cloth and just give it a light cleaning. That will remove any dirt/metal particles that might still be in there that you can't see as easily and help brush off any rough edges. It will reduce the appearance of the scratch (minimally, but that is something). Do not get an art store silver pen. It never looks the same and you will be annoyed every time you see the notebook. Over time you'll forget and when you move to your next notebook in a few years, hopefully you save this one and it becomes your trusty notebook you are ok with getting a little beat up.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX

Yes, and even the dents that I've seen on several MBPs tend to suggest that the outer casing made out of aluminum (its malleable). The MBs casing usually cracks, suggesting that it is made out of plastic (its brittle).

I would not bet my life on it, but with a very fair amount of certainty, I would claim that the outer casing of MBP is genuine aluminum.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I have also taken apart of few 17" MBPs and the ones I've seen on the inside look like the aluminum colored paint or dye wasn't applied evenly which clearly showed the color white on certain areas of the casing on the inside.

the last time I checked, aluminum doesn't normally come in white. lol :p

haha no it sure doesn't. but, what are the "certain" areas my friend...;)

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
haha no it sure doesn't. but, what are the "certain" areas my friend...;)

one of the certain area(s) was where the hard drive mounting bracket (which actually is made out of aluminum) attaches to the bottom half of the casing itself. certain areas of that mounting area were white in color. one would tend to think that if the entire casing was in fact aluminum that the entire inside of the casing would be the same color everywhere.

again, this wasn't the case with the few 17" MBPs that I took apart.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

err, no.

the MBP casing is real anodized aluminum.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
...one would tend to think that if the entire casing was in fact aluminum that the entire inside of the casing would be the same color everywhere...

Not necessarily. The casing of the MBP is anodized aluminum. It is possible that Apple decided not to anodize particular areas inside of the casing, which may result in a different color gradient.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
err, no.

the MBP casing is real anodized aluminum.

okay, whatever you guys say. like I said earlier, a lot of people also thought or still think that the iPhone is also made out of aluminum.

there's no point in arguing so we'll both believe what we want to believe.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
There is no scratch remover for the ALUMINUM

yes... they are actually aluminum and YES there are pieces of the casing that are plastic, but the actual thin outer shell of these things is indeed aluminum (also why they dissipate heat better then the normal macbooks: note I said dissipate, not stay cooler overall, just less of a hot spot. Also why the wifi range is better on macbooks than macbook pros as well)

Anyway. There is no scratch remover sadly.

I had an old powerbook that I took to the hardware/hobby store though and matched the color to a metal dust paint compound (it was like paint but with metal dust in it to help with the color i guess) in the paint isle though... and I took a teeny tiny dab of that and put it "in" the scratch and then QUICKLY wiped the excess off (so the paint basically filled in the scratch).

A lot of old car parts had anodized aluminum type finishes, so there may be car body paint that matches fairly well too.

You have to be careful to not get it elsewhere, but it actually worked quite well after it dried. You could still tell there was a line/scratch there, but it was a lot less noticeable then it was before.

edit: I suppose you could try the silver nailpolish route too. Probably less likely to last, but probably pretty darn harmless to try. It's pretty good at filling in cracks and is easily removed later with acetone which doesn't seem to do any damage to aluminum.

Just a thought.

Either way, any option will be "filling in" the scratches, not really removing or making them completely invisible.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Holy crap. Last time I checked hard plastic doesnt dent, bend, nor is it cool to the touch, or dissipate heat as well as the MBP does.

i've never seen a cracked MBP case. Even pictures of the powerbook/macbook pro that was shot through with a bullet wasnt plastic. :rolleyes: Or what about the one that was run over?
1129964795_dfb65d5435_o.jpg

139-messed-up-macbook-pro.jpg

vs.

138-cracked-white-macbook.jpg
Holy ignorance batman!

i'm sure one skilled in machining or metalwork could do it. lightly grinding it or rubbing with an abrasive compound and then "brushing" it somehow. No one that uses a Mac though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.