iPhone XS Scratch removal from the stainless steel band

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I got a few scratches on the stainless steel band of a silver iPhone XS. The scratches are visible. If I run my finger across it, I cannot feel it. But if I run my nail across it, I can feel it. Unfortunately, I do not have a camera to take a picture and I cannot use the phone to take a picture of itself. Hopefully this description gives you some idea of what the scratch looks like.

Cape Cod polishing cloth is highly recommended by many posts on this forum. So I got one from a local hardware store. The polishing cloth is essentially a cloth with embedded fine polishing particles soaked in some oily lubricant. Instead of directly rubbing the cloth on the stainless steel frame, I first rub a cotton swab on the cloth so that the cotton swab gets some polishing compound. Then I use the cotton swab to rub across the scratch. I use the cotton swab because it is easier to be precise and not touch the glass. I use very light pressure and rub the scratch for about 3 minutes in total. Then I use a paper towel to buff out the oily lubricant. The end results is great. The scratch is removed and I cannot see it even if I direct shine a light on it. Just want to share this. It might be helpful if you want to remove scratches.

I have a silver iPhone XS. The band is raw stainless steel so I can polish it. The space gray or gold ones have PVD coating on them, polishing will risk removing the coating. So you probably shouldn't do this if you have space gray or gold phone.

Reactions: Breaking Good

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I think that is common knowledge. The Silver one is the only one that can be polished. Cape Cod does the trick.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I think that is common knowledge. The Silver one is the only one that can be polished. Cape Cod does the trick.
Yeah, I am surprised how well Cape Cod polishing cloth works. The scratch literally disappeared after rubbing for a short amount of time.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

brock2621

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Yup, use exact ones once every 3-4 months on watch and phone and they look flawless when I’m done. I hope they stick with stainless from now one, it’s so nice to be able to do that