Scratch Removal

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jack Tripper, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Jack Tripper macrumors member

The front glass of my iPad 2 has a scratch, and it produces a noticeable rainbowing effect when showing a white background.

I don't have a warranty. Can the Genius bar help in any way or is there another way to remove this scratch?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

AppleCare and AppleCare+ does not cover scratches anyway.

3. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

AppleCare+ does, but for the accidental damage fee

4. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Did you buy with a credit Richard? Sometimes they cover in first few months.

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

If you can't get a replacement, a front glass repair is available from Apple, though it's probably pricey. There are also repair services that offer much lower prices. There are even DIY kits, though I imagine they're not readily available for the new iPad quite yet, and tricky to perform.

As a last ditch cheap alternative, you could install a screen protector. If the scratch is fine enough, the silicone backing will fill it in! and you will barely notice the scratch, if you see it at all.

6. Dinth1906 macrumors newbie

You can try to polish your screen using sandpaper, start with something like 500/cm2 and go up to highest you can find, at least 1200/cm2.
    But i cannot guarantee any results, or that You will not make Your screen even worse :) Never tried this method with iPad or iPhone, but it worked with several other mobile phones...

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

iPad 2 is a sealed unit, they'll charge for an out of warranty repair and give you a refurb (my own experience)

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

AppleCare+ does not covers scratches since the iPad is still functional. You would have to intentionally case further damage to the iPad which would then also not be covered since it was caused intentionally and would be considered fraud.

9. NewtonApple macrumors member

Do NOT do this!:mad:

10. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

You cannot polish glass with sandpaper. Only plastic screens can be polished like that.

11. Deako macrumors 6502

There are plenty of scratch repair kits out there. Basically consisting of an ultra fine rubbing compound. Be aware that you will lose the oleophobic coating wherever the compound is used.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Absolutely. Whenever I get a scratch on my iPad I pull out my belt sander and go at it. Who needs an anti-glare screen protector? Not me. :)

13. NewtonApple macrumors member

Most of these kits are for plastic screens and will not yield good results on a glass screen like the iPad.

14. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

If I can sand the windows and polish them when detailing my car, how come I couldnt do the same on the iPad? I mean glass is glass right? curious....

15. NewtonApple macrumors member

There is a coating that is ment to prevent finger prints.

I am not saying you can't use these kits, just worried about the kits I see that are for getting scratches out of plastic screens on most phones.

16. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

No I should have said I am awre fo the coating, and if you buff it it will probably come off, but if need be, i'd whip out my buffer and descratch the screen albeit losing the coating...thanks!

17. NewtonApple macrumors member

I use a Porter Cable buffer on the paint on my 2011 LX, had no idea that windshieldsd could get so damaged they needed buffed out. Good to know that can do such things.:)

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ah the Porter Cable is great, I recently got a Flex polisher, it's a little better. But the PC is great it's still really my go too tool for any quick wax and correction are car paint.