Scratch Resistance of iP6 and iP6+ displays

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iososx, Jan 9, 2015.

1. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

My iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models have been in use since one week after Apple released them. Used without a screen protector as I've done successfully with every model since 1997, mine are still completely scratch free under any lighting.

I'm very happy with the durability of the displays.

In fact I've not given it a second thought till recently. Then I began reading articles like the one below and including the over 80 pages of complaints on Apple's forum.

"Apple touted the new glass as being ion-strengthened, but I’m starting to think that it’s a step backward from the iPhone 5 for tiny scratches. Maybe it’s because there’s more surface area to be scratched? I’m not sure, but there’s a thread on Apple’s suport site with 81 pages of replies that shows it’s not just me."

I'd like to hear your experiences.

http://thenextweb.com/opinion/2015/01/09/iphone-6-plus-four-months-still-best-catch/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6555765?start=1200&tstart=0

2. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

Ive had mine since release day. No screen protector, no scratches.

3. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

All my iPhones have had tiny scratches on the screens. My 6 is no different, I don't baby it though but am also not that rough on it.

4. iososx thread starter macrumors 6502a

iososx

I've grown very satisfied with Apple's Oleophobic Coating in recent years. It provides a stellar tactile experience.

I prefer that to a screen protector (even those with Oleophobic).

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I've got some extremely minor scratches that are only noticeable when viewing the screen at an extreme angle while turned off and s kight is shined against it. Been the same way since the 4s or so. I would consider that completely a non issue and not worth investing in a screen protector to prevent. Especially when I keep my phone for just s year.

I did catch s stuck green pixel last night while watching s movie. Never would have noticed if not for the letterbox. Deciding if that is annoying enough to do something about...

6. iososx thread starter macrumors 6502a

iososx

A very heavy user of all my Apple work/personal computers, I've upgraded each laptop, PowerBooks / MacBook Pros, at each new refresh since 1991 and each iPhone since 2007.

I must say Apple's choice of displays with very few exceptions have been simply stellar. Combine just a bit of luck and I've yet to experience any stuck (on or off) Pixels. A truly amazing testimony to component quality.

Now that I've jinxed it...time to stop. Ha...Ha...Ha :)

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The only suck pixels that I ever noticed, before this one, were in the 3G. For whatever reason I had s problem with that. The boot screen was all black and looked like glitter had been spread on three devices before I finally got a good one. Hmm. Maybe that's why they changed that black screen lol.

I honestly would not have noticed this had I not been staring at s large black portion (accidentally flipped into portrait mode with a movie playing). Like I said, unsure if I really want to do anything about it. I'll see how much it bugs me in the coming weeks.

I've already tried to get the phone swapped twice since users on here convinced me I must have s faulty device due to lag, namely in various safari tasks. Each time I was told its operating normally. And I believe that.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I read somewhere when the IP6 was released it was a bit more prone to scratches. I have a screen protector on it (as is my normal course of action). I figure, why take a chance

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Never a case nor a screen protector and I noticed the iPhone 4 scratched the easiest. Not huge ugly scratches but hairline scuffs from being in a pocket or lying face down, pretty much daily use.

The 5 and 5s were much more durable and now my 6 plus purchased on launch has not a single scratch,scuff or mark on the face. From day one I have been pretty rough on the phone too.

10. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

This is exactly why I fully check all of my devices as soon as I receive them.

I would hate to "realise" there was a dead/stuck pixel some time down the line (when you're out of the return period).

And once you've noticed a dead/stuck pixel, you can't ignore them.

I always use the following video from YouTube, in a dark room to check my devices for dead/stuck pixels:

http://youtu.be/gIA_4nV-CqE

Good luck ...

11. Zxxv macrumors 68040

mine looks ok. I guess they put theirs face down or in pockets and purses with other things. Mine goes in pocket on its own.

12. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Didn't use screen protectors on my 4 or 5 and no scratches. None on my 6 which I have since mid-November and pristine as well. Just my experience.

13. Ashtar macrumors regular

14. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Never heard Apple or Corning tout the glasss as Gorilla Glass 3. so nobody really knows The glass is scratch resistant but not scratch proof.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Some of the threads in this forum are beyond belief. Best to take the best and worst and find the truth somewhere in between.

I have never used a screen protector on any of my IPhones and never suffered even a minor scratch.

Just use common sense and enjoy your phone.

16. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

I have a small scratch on my iPhone 6.

When reaching into my pocket (loose fitting gym shorts) my fingernail slightly caught the very edge of the glass (where it meets the metal) which the Apple silicone case doesn't cover.

I am always very careful when I do this, by the way.

I checked straight away and sure enough, it scratched the glass.

I love my iPhone 6, so I'm not slating it, but the glass clearly scratches easily ...

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Most of the complaints involve scratches within the oleophobic coating rather than the glass, which are really difficult to catch unless you're in the correct lighting (especially if you spend a lot of time outdoor or you're the anal retentive type who overinspect your iPhone).

But more than that, we always get threads on how any given problem is worse than last year. Every year we get complaints on how the new screens are more yellow than the previous year. You'd think the screens are piss yellow by now.