Scratch right out of the box

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Psycho Mantis, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Psycho Mantis macrumors member

Had just purchased a brand new iPad last night and I noticed a scratch right out of the box. It's a pretty deep and noticeable scratch right near the headphone port. I know it wasn't me cause I noticed it before I even put it down on a tablet or anything.

My question is, should I deal with going back to Best Buy and returning it? I don't want to seem like a pain in the ass for something so little, but I did spend $699 for it and doesn't seem right to have an imperfection right out of the box...

2. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

It's really up to you, Best Buy will most likely give you a sealed one if they still got any in stock.

3. imeth macrumors regular

I would say exchange it but don't tell them it's cause of the scratch, they'll know you are OCD. Just say it's not working properly and would like an exchange.

4. JeffMorse macrumors regular

They're going to see the scratch anyway. Just tell them the truth. If they give you a hard time, just return it and tell them you'll buy it someplace else.

5. Eric052492, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

Eric052492 macrumors member

I returned my first iPad due to some pretty bad scratching. After getting the second one, I looked at it in the store and things seemed fine, but when I got home, I noticed a small nick in the corner near the headphone jack like yours. It's not much but you can see it when it reflects light. It annoys me a little just because it's a brand new product and it shouldn't have any scratches whatsoever.

Here's a picture. It's really hard to capture on camera but is a bit more notice in person.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Mine had a tiny scratch on the back, below the camera. I thought about just keeping it, but I could feel it when I held the iPad.

Best Buy switched it out without a problem.

I thought I was being too OCD at first, but as the OP said, for the price I just paid I'd like to get perfection.

7. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

As long as my iPad still functions properly, and it's not on the screen, I don't really care.

8. Eric052492 macrumors member

After reading about issues with dead pixels and backlight bleeding I would be hesitant to return it because of something really small like the scratch on mine. As far as I can tell, my screen has no issues at all.

9. Psycho Mantis thread starter macrumors member

Did I really get thumbs downed for a genuine question?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to bring it back and mention it to them and see where it goes from there. Just kind of shocked that something like this would escape quality control at the factory.