Scratch, Temp, etc & SSD drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evolutionbeats, Nov 10, 2015.

1. evolutionbeats macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am new to SSD drives and am about to have one installed into my mid-2012 Macbook pro. I will be keeping the original HDD for extra storage as well. I was just wondering if someone could help me figure out my configuration moving forward.

Basically, I have learned you do not want to constantly write to an SSD (try to avoid this as much as possible).

So what I should be doing is:

Installing my programs to the SSD for faster launching, load times, etc.

Setting the temp/scratch folders for all of my programs (Ableton Live, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, etc) to the HDD.

This way, I am getting the benefits of the SSD for working with my software, but I avoid excessive writing to my SDD my writing temp/scratch files to my HDD.

Is this correct?

I've also read to keep, for instance, raw video files for my current video editing project on the SSD so they will load faster. But once I am finished with the project, move those files back to HDD for storage. (I've also heard I should be rendering to my HDD so this way I am reading from the SDD but writing my render onto the HDD).

Is this also correct?

Thank you so much for your help and please feel free to add any additional information that may be useful. Thanks in advance!!

2. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Since many computers now come with just SSD, I don't know if you really need to worry so much.

I think just over provision your drive, and it should last the usable life of the drive. At some point, the space will be more of an issue than wearing out the drive. So if 240GB is enough, get a 500GB drive. You probably aren't writing as much as you think you are. It isn't like you are writing 24/7.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The myth of 'don't write to your SSD' doesn't really apply these days. It did when the technology was in its infancy. Not at all these days.

Currently, most modern SSDs can write about 5 petabytes of data before failing, which will more than exceed the lifetime of any computer. That's writing well over 2TB of data every day for the next 5 years.

Don't worry. Install everything you want. Write as much as you want. Read as much as you want. Don't worry about TRIM. Store whatever you want. Keep whichever apps you want. It'll be fine. Just stick with Crucial or Samsung. You'll be fine.

4. evolutionbeats thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Ok!

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate both of you taking time out of your day to clear this up for me.