Scratch Test: Does Your Phone Really Need A Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by loyalist, Oct 3, 2013.

1. loyalist macrumors 6502

2. Warcake macrumors regular

The drop test part and how she made a conclusion from it, was incredibly flawed. Anyway, I like using em, because i can get em really cheap and the ones I use doesn't seem to reduce the clarity.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

cool video and tests. I'm with the comment about the drop protection... too many variables for that one to be conclusive...

I use screen protectors and nothing else (no case, skin, whatever). I like skins but they peel off all the time so I just said "meh" and went with naked+screen protector.

4. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

Do you need it no but if you are the type of person who doesnt want to have it scratched, I'd get a really thin glass one.

5. Unkei, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

Unkei macrumors member

Unkei

Scratch Test

Recently bought my first iPhone (a 5S), and Apple Guy used keys to try and scratch a screen (not mine)......the screen was not scratched! Think it speaks for itself! However, being the paranoid I am, I not only had a screen protector put on, I bought a case for the phone at Andersons for around $40, that included a front panel that also covers the screen. Double the (probably not needed protection)! Even with the applied screen protector, and that which was part of the case, there is no visible loss of color or brightness, and both the fingerprint scanner and touch screen are totally useable! I know..it's crazy...but I tend to keep Apple products for a long while, till something comes along I just can not live without! So the extra protection without performance issues was a no brainer for me. Now my wife has a beautiful blue leather case with Swaroski crystals in a flip cover form, which also holds an ID, credit card and a bill! I wouldn't have one! The darn thing cost almost two hundred bucks! But to each their own! I have 2 iPodTouch, an iPad 3rd Gen, an iPod Nano, an iPad Mini, and a Mac Book Pro 15 inch Retina with SSD and top specs! I am an Apple idiot!
    Unkei

6. haroldboston macrumors newbie

You might have spent a little more than you needed to. Cell phones prey on those who don't know how much is too much.. most of those customer service people are paid commission for how much stuff they can sell.

7. Unkei, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

Unkei macrumors member

Unkei

Scratch Test

Hi haroldboston,
    It was something my wife absolutely wanted for her new iPhone5S! So...Done and Done! As for me, my tastes are much simpler!
    Unkei

Attached Files:

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Proves nothing. Keys are not harder than glass therefore they will not scratch glass. A softer material cannot scratch a harder material.

That said, keys aren't the only thing that screens come in contact with. Sand and other hard grit can easily scratch glass. As always with these threads it's a subjective matter and up to the individual to decide.

9. Unkei macrumors member

Unkei

Sorryyyyyy! Just recounting an episode.
    Cheers,
    Unkei