Scratch That

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NuclearBiscuit, Apr 29, 2009.

1. NuclearBiscuit macrumors newbie

Hey,

I just got a new MBP and like most people here I'm treating it like a sacred object. My problem is that I've gone through three cases now trying to find the right one. IE One that will allow me to carry it in my briefcase protected. With my first case, a Belkin, I noticed just a slight little scuff on the edge of the top case near the battery indicator. I figured it must be the zipper rubbing against the metal from the case. So I got a contour case, but that left some areas of the computer exposed. Now, I have a BUILT NY case that forms itself perfectly to the computer, but it too has a zipper that I'm concerned about. In theory, the hardened metal shouldn't be scratched by the case's zipper, right? And I know I know I know that this sort of commodity fetish is absurd--the computer will get scratched. But I don't like the idea of the case doing it. Can anyone put me at ease on this? Has the BUILT NY served you well?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

There are protective neoprene sleeves available that have extra folds that totally cover the notebook and provide an added layer of protection between the computer and the zipper.

3. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

You may be worrying too much ;)

Regardless, the incase sleeves are amazing... that is is you want to fork out another ~40 usd

4. ZenoVT macrumors regular

I'm making my own out of tempur-pedic material. Should be able to drop it with out have it dent.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

sounds like you need a hard case. those sleeves do a whole lotta nothing if you drop it. im pretty sure they have briefcases with special made notebook compartments

6. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

My Tucano sleeve has a uh... idk, how do i explain it....

it has two fabric thingys where the zipper faces the computer... like seams... one above the zipper and one below the zipper, so that way the zipper is held away from the actual computer.

7. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

Same situation, new unibody MBP and treating it like it's a human infant... ;)

I bought a new Incase bag to go with it, very nice fluffy interior and a protective seam all the way round the zipper.

A little bit of attention taking it in and out of pretty much any bag and should be OK. Most zipper teeth seem to be coated with something which should prevent any scratching anyway.

By the way I dropped my old MBP in a sleeve, from about waist height onto concrete, and the neoprene absorbed all the impact, not a dent. Obviously if you drop it on to a corner it will go, but they do give some protection.

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's what keeps Apples more reliable to many - few notebooks get more babied at least in the first year than MBP's. Don't knock it*

*literally

9. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

Nothing says "power" like pulling an electric purple Foof bag with bright blue yarn tufts, out of your briefcase......'cept maybe the blue Elmo fur rendition.