Scratch Under Glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattZani, Feb 13, 2009.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Yesterday, i noticed what appears to be a scratch under the Glass of my 3G, its silver, and i cannot feel it with my nail, i've attached some pics trying to show how it doesnt show up at an angle in light like normal scratches, and one headon showing the scratch (And the ones on my chrome from my Slider)

Im going to Southampton next week, so will pop into the Apple Store and see what they say as i obviously couldnt of caused this (I Also need to take my MBP Battery in) So what do you think? Obviously it would be nice to get a new Phone, and it is quite noticable in daylight....

Attached Files:

2. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I have had the same problem for quite a while and so have a few others from previous threads. Its seems as though most people (if not all) have been successful in getting their phone replaced. I have decided its not a big enough deal for me to send it in so i wouldn't know first hand.

Just out of curiosity: have you applied alot of pressure to the screen? i.e. when putting on a screen protector if you have one.
    And does the scratch (or bubbles is what i think they are) seem to grow?

Good luck on getting it replaced

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Never had a protector on, and i've had it since October.

Doesnt appear to get bigger when applying pressure near it, or smaller, definitely looks like a scratch.

As i said, im going to the Apple Store next week, so will see what happens, do i need to take anything? Other than backup my iPhone before i go, do i need boxes or cables etc? It is reassuring that people have got it swapped, i'll pick up a body shield while there to protect the new one, and rethink the Slider (As it does scratch!) I May put the Body Sheild on (Nothing for the chrome i guess) and then leave it bare this time around.

4. zerrrox22 macrumors newbie

I actually had this exact problem, it was just a much longer "scratch" that kept getting bigger over time. It didn't bother me at first, but I didn't want to have my screen completely messed up when the warranty expires. I set up an appointment with the Apple Store and I was in and out within 15 minutes with a "new" activated phone; all I brought was the phone. I say "new" since it came out of a white box which leads me to believe its a refurb, but it was actually better than the one that had the scratch. The build quality was much better, and the battery life much longer so I am one happy iPhone User :)

5. navigates macrumors 6502a

Aah.. I can see Monster iClean being used here.
    Besides the point majority of the iphones being replaced are mainly for that damn Scratch magnet bezel.. Annoys me to the max..

I have a small scratch too and am tired of getting my phone replaced. Please let me know what you say when you go meet the Genius and what is the result.

6. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Actually its Monster Screen Clean for LCD's, probably the same stuff in all of them.

Im just gonna say i've noticed a scratch on my iPhone that is under the glass, show them it, and see what happens, i'll be taking my MBP Battery anyway, so will already be talking to the Genius.

7. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Me too

I had a mysterious scratch that appeared in exactly the same place - my iPhone also had a cracked case that was replaced under warranty and with it the scratch. It was weird because I have no idea how the scratch under the glass happened.

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

it's not a scratch

its the black paint peeling away from the glass on the rear of your iphone

mine has it too, but since it doesn't affect anything there's really no point in replacing my phone

9. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

If you want a new phone, turn it over I bet it has a few cracks in the back plastic housing. I have had 3 White ones now. I get a new one every 3 months. I figure I will hammer home the thought of apple ever wants to make a bloody plastic enclosure again. My wife's black one has been replaced twice also for the "I have a black 3G" and "the black ones don't crack" crowd, yes they do, they are just harder to see. I schooled my local Mac genius who was arguing with me about this when I got my 2 replacement. At that moment I had no intention of replacing my wife's black 16G phone, I asked my wife for hers and then made him replace hers too based solely on the principle that it completely proves him wrong and gives me validation. He shouldn't argue with customers. "The customer is always right" Especially when you work in an Apple store and we pay the hard earned money we have. His response was "huh I have never seen a black one crack, this is the first time."

I can't believe people still think the black back is superior to the white and able to resist cracks better. My god it's one of the stupidest things I have ever heard from fan boys.

I think the new back pictured on the front page is for 3G users soon, I bet when we go to turn them in eventually we will be getting refurbished units with a metal back like the one pictured on the front page.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

What's this you say?? Front page of where?

11. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte