Scratch under the screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JustDom89, Jul 9, 2009.

1. JustDom89 macrumors member

JustDom89

I have a early 08 Macbook Pro. I bought it from ebay and I received it with a small scratch/mark on the display. I did everything I could to get rid of it, but it won't go away. It appears to be under the lcd..its not on the surface..and it only appears when the screen is white or a very light..color...and I can't see it at all when the screen is black..:confused:

Some one please help me understand what happened and how I can fix it

Thank You

2. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

You sure it's a scratch and not a row of dead pixels?

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If its a scratch, I dont see how you would be able to fix it. You need to find out if its on the inside part or maybe even on the LCD itself.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

like the others havee said i dont think its going to be something that you can fix. if it doesnt bother you that much then just leave it. other wise you may want to contact the guy who sold it to you and see if you can get your money back if it's a problem.

5. JustDom89 thread starter macrumors member

JustDom89

it's not dead pixels..cause the mark is sort of horizontal..the guy who sold it to me said that there was never a scratch on the screen..idk to beleive him or not..he said he won't accept any returns..

I wonder how much it would cost if apple fixed it?

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

do you have record of him saying that the screen didnt have a scratch on it? cause if you so then he misrepresented the prodouct and you have every right to force him to accept the return. a new screen will probably run you a min of $400.

7. JustDom89 thread starter macrumors member

JustDom89

i emailed him immediately after i noticed the mark. he said there was no mark when he shipped it. so it's my word against his? could it have happened when it shipped?

This pic doesn't really show it..but it gives you guys an idea...
    [​IMG]

8. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

If you payed through paypal, complain to them, they always take the buyers side.

James

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Where did u buy it from and how about posting a pic of that scar. See what you're working with.

10. JustDom89 thread starter macrumors member

JustDom89

The problem is..I really like this computer..it was a great deal and everything works great..theres just that nagging scratch..

Will Applecare cover it? :D

I think I am going to have to file damaged item to UPS..what a pain in the a%$

11. Aljovido macrumors member

I had a strange mark under the screen of my first macbook, that was exactly how you describe. I took it into Apple and the 'genius' said it was a fold in the LCD screen. Of course, they replaced it for free since it was under warranty, but it is impossible to fix on your own. You'll need a whole new screen, which I'm finding online for around $200 (plus you gotta be rather tech-savvy to dismantle the whole machine).

12. mainomega macrumors 6502

we had a scratch on the MBP... one day it seem to be slightly tilted.... turned out to be an eye lash that go in some how... since you have no warranty I would just look at ifixit... see if you can open it up and blow some air in there.

13. JustDom89 thread starter macrumors member

JustDom89

Should I get applecare and tell apple what happened and see if they can fix it? it wasn't caused by me.. and it isn't on the external screen..so must be something wrong internally..

14. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I'd highly recommend you stop being so anal in future and look out help for your clear OCD. You bought secondhand goods off of eBay for Allas sake. :rolleyes:

15. JustDom89 thread starter macrumors member

JustDom89

HUH, easy for you to say!:D