Scratch/Wear Concerns? Grey & Gold

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Maven1975, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Anyone concerned about this? I really like the look of space grey, but scratches would really stink.

Wear from watches, rings and palm oils. Also, just everyday sand and grit.

2. gregruns macrumors member

Yep! That's why i just ordered these from Amazon! Yes, made specifically for the new MacBook!

Attached Files:

3. Phightinphils macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

the metal on metal sound is like nails on a chalkboard for me - ever since I've owned a MacBook I always take off my ring and watch when typing cause the sound is horrendous >.< not to mention Im sure the SG model will scratch just as bad as the back panels on the iPhone 5.

4. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

When I have scratched my silver MacBooks in the past, I've always noticed that the scratch is actually darker than the silver coloring itself. So, with that in mind, I purposefully chose the space gray color, hoping scratches would blend in more. We'll see.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Maker?

6. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I ended up getting gold because it appeared that the demo space grey at the mac store already had scratches and the gold looked perfect.

Also, my space grey phone shows scratches easily and isn't looking too hot. I think time will tell.

7. MEGAB4K3R macrumors regular

MEGAB4K3R

On the random I ran into an apple employe on the street who knew a lot of the process behind treating the metal, and after asking directly about the scratch issue the answer was the scratch will be the inked color, unless REALLY deep.

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by the 'inked color'.:confused:

9. MEGAB4K3R macrumors regular

MEGAB4K3R

10. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Ah, do you mean that the scratch will be in the same colour, but perhaps a different shade, to the colour of the laptop? For example, a scratch on a space grey machine, unless deep, will show in a shade of space grey?

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If scratched you can bet it will not show grey, it will be the silver aluminum below the ano finish. :rolleyes:

12. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I don't get it with all the scratching concerns. I've had the old Macbook Pros, the new macbook pros, the macbook airs, and just about every laptop Apple makes, and have never had a scratch on the inside or outside of my unit. Sometimes I wonder what people do to their laptops that they get so beat up. Sometimes when I see them sitting in coffee shops and they have scratches and dents and knicks in the aluminum I wonder how they treat their things that it happens.

I guess I just slide mine into the sleeve when done with it, and have respect for my property, so these things don't happen. Every computer I've used then sold when upgrading people always say "wow this looks brand new" ... but then again my car is 2 years old and looks brand new. I guess different people were just brought up to treat things different.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

People come in all flavors and there are those who are very careful and then those who just treat it like a tool and could care less about the looks. Scratches and dents would drive me crazy! I, also, have seen hardware at Panera that looks like it has been to hell and back.

14. newellj macrumors 601

I will be putting a BSE skin on it, mostly to help with possible future resale value.