Scratchability of non-Sapphire iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Is there any cause for concern with scratching on the iPhone 6? I used to own an iPod Touch and I have had no problems with display scratching and just didn't use a cover for the front only.

Does the same still apply now for iPhone even though it is not using sapphire glass? Should I be concerned if I don't want to get a case for it? Aside from keys in pocket, I'm not going to have any diamonds or sapphires lying around in my pocket where my iPhone sits.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say it as scratch resistant as Apple's prior models. If you think that's good, then no need for concern. If you that's an issue, then perhaps a screen protector.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I like to put my phone face down but won't with the 6 series. The glass actually protrudes, so for that example maybe more prone if there happens to be sand on some surfaces that I lay it on.

As far as glass hardness, not worse than your Touch, but probably not exponentially better.

You do know the screen on both models is NOT sapphire, correct?(In regards to diamonds or sapphire in your pocket)

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have to agree and would thing that the iPhone 6 glass is as good and maybe better than previous models.

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

I'm playing it safe and I ordered a slim glass screen protector. They are barely noticeable and provides peace of mind for not only scratches, but for drop protection as well. I rather have a $15 protector crack than a $150 screen (or more?)

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I'm nervous about how the glass protectors will actually fit the curved edges of the phone's screen.

I mean, are the glass protectors going to have a curve at the edge like the screen does?

7. solo118 macrumors 65816

There are cutouts near the home button to remedy this issue (as you may read in the accessories section of this forum)

I guess its something we have to live with for now, and if it looks horrible I will simply remove it and go naked (on the screen at least)

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, I would be interested in seeing how they do it. I am betting the protectors will be smaller than the screen and not cover the "edge rolls" just the flat part of the screen. This will leave that edge of the protector in harms way.

9. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

The other half of the equation is how are the cases going to fit now if you use glass protectors? With the flat surface 5 series phones, the protector fits inside the edges of the phone. Now, the edges are technically the screen with extreme protrusion, The fit will be much less tolerant of glass protectors unless you use a very flexible silicon or leather case?

Mophie is gonna be a big bummer for me, I think.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have always used the Sedio Surface case/shell with a holster, yes a holster!

It is a very thin shell that covers the back and the edges. I can see it wraping just around the metal edges right where the glass meets the metal on the 6. I do not use screen protectors so I should be good. It offer little drop protection, mainly protects the back when you sit it down. The holster is one of the few that fits my service belt, perfectly

I am sure all these 3rd party people will get it right as theyre are mega bucks to be made here.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Your iPod is not sapphire...

The new glass is upgraded and is notably more resistant to scratching than your iPod.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I've owned every iPhone generation and never used a screen protector. Not ONE single scratch.

13. itjw macrumors 65816

This isn't about scratches "nomal" people notice. This is the kind of scratch you can only see if you hold the phone in a certain way in a certain light with a certain magnification.

Those drive the OCD'ers NUTS, and that's what sapphire can largely avoid.

Granted, it shatters a lot easier because it's more brittle lol.

Trust me, put your phone in front of an OCD'er, and suddenly it will be FULL of cosmetic flaws. :p