Scratched and worn Blackbooks..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Radio Monk33, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I have to do some work on a set of several black macbooks. Unfortunately they are exposed to the public and are grimy, worn, and scraped up. I was wondering if there's anything I can do as a speedy solution to clean them up and make them more presentable looking?

I was thinking of iKlear polish but I think that's more for glossy surfaces and might work for the worn out MBP's..but Im at a loss for the matt black surface..

2. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Mr.Clean Magic Eraser might do the trick! If your interested in that read up more on it and how it cleans the MacBooks here. :)

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I clean mine with Clorox Wipes and paper towels (to keep the wipes from streaking). With a little rubbing it gets all the oil off.

4. cambridge1807 macrumors member

I also recommend the Mr. Clean eraser. Just get it a wet, wring out as much water as possible so it's just a little wet, then scrub away the nasties. It pretty much restores my blackbook to mint condition, for a while.... Then it comes back all filled with fingerprints. That's just the way it is with the blackbook I guess. I've had mine for almost 2 years now, and I can still make it looking fresh.

5. zenspeaks macrumors member

Ditto!
    Have a Blackbook that was looking more or less grey with dirt! Managed to restore it to a good extent!
    Give it a go!

6. Radio Monk33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, I think I have a magic eraser already.

Now how about scratches?

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How in the world did they get scratched? You have to work pretty hard to do that. I've had mine since March and there isn't one scratch on it. That said- I think you'll have to live with the scratches. Tell these people to be more careful.

8. cambridge1807 macrumors member

There is nothing you can do about scratches. Unless you try to buff it like polishing a car, but there is no clearcoat, so that wouldn't work. Besides, it's plastic, so you'll just have to live with it. I've had mine for 2 years and no scratches, just smudges on my blackbook. You must have rubbed it against something rough, because the plastic casing is pretty tough.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Another vote for Mr Clean magic erasers, they work great for the blackbook. Great for everything except the prematurely aged shiny worn trackpad & glossy screen.

10. Radio Monk33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no clue what's happened to these computers...

I'm doing some consulting work and I find 4 blackbooks and a MBP...used purely as internet surfing terminals. What a f'n waste of resources/money eh?

And yeah, they are shredded pretty badly. Exposure to the public=premature death to equipment.

Maybe I can uh use a sharpie to color in the worst damage. :p Thanks anyways.

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I have used Brasso on a black MacBook lid once and was amazed how it worked - the finish was still matt but a bit of rubbing and all the fine scratches polished out. Deep scratches could be a problem - plus I don't think that Brasso is easily obtainable in the USA.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Brasso is available at any drug or hardware store here in the US.