Scratched DVD software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macfearless, Jul 8, 2009.

1. macfearless macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I have a DVD with some pretty important info on it and it's not terribly scratched, but scratched enough to not let me get a couple of files that I need. Is there an os x program that can help me recover the files? Any help would be GREAT!

2. macfearless thread starter macrumors regular

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

How is software going to help with a physical problem like that? You need something that will fill in or buff out the scratches. I don't know how good they are but there's a lot of those Disk Doctor devices out there that claim to repair scratched disks. You're looking at the wrong thing for the fix though, no software is going to make your computer read a scratched disk.

jW

4. macfearless thread starter macrumors regular

I've found dozens of programs for windows that help retrieve information from scratched CDs, DVDs, disks, etc. They're out there. I just can't find one for osx.

5. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

A physical solution is to fill the scrathes with toothpaste. I heard somewhere it works.

7. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i've heard this and other options such as yellow highlighters before as well, though never tried myself. good gives good results. it's never been necessary for me though, i take a clean cloth and wipe from the the outside in and then run ddrescue it's never failed me. and trust me, i scratch a lot of discs.

8. macfearless thread starter macrumors regular

Exatctly the kind of answer I was looking for. Willdefi itely try this when I get home tonight. If that doesn't work, then it's off to the toothpaste technique. The tootpaste or highlighted won't damage my SuperDrive?

9. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

highlighter definitely won't. the toothpaste technique works by polishing the plastic to buff out minor imperfections and allowing light to pass through clearly, as long as you don't smother the disc, i think it would be fine. just remember, it's to polish, not coat. :)

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I've also heard that soap will fill in the scratch. But I would never do that. I can't stand the thought of putting a disc with toothpaste or soap on it into any electronic device of mine.

I have had success by copying the disc. For some reason, it will copy fine. I don't know about your case, of course, but I would try it.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

As an other idea, call your local public library. Some of them have a machine they use for DVDs that get loaned out and get alittle bit scratched - the machine is supposed to be able to fix it. They might not let you, but it won;t hurt to ask.

13. freesonwang macrumors member

A Youtube search shows people actually doing it (using toothpaste to clean CDs), so it seems like a thing to do.