Scratched...I can't look at it any more!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Draythor, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

So I found a scratch on my iPod touch. I wouldn't have had a problem with it if it was on the black border. Problem is it's bang in the center of the screen and just between my home screen dots. Is it bad that I want to sell it? Just to get rid of it?
    I thought I might be able to take it back to Apple and have it replaced for a separate issue (Clock synchronization is messed up)
    I've browsed the internet for a while and found that there is a few options for glass repairs. The only idea that seems feasible is to take it to my local jeweler's and see if they can repair it at all.
    Any other ideas?

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I doubt apple would replace it just for a scratch but you may be able to work the clock thing...

3. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Tiny piece of toothpaste, dry tissue. Rub it gently for around 10 minutes, if it's not too deep it'll go away.

4. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Glass repair will cost $100-$200 if I remember correctly. You can go down the path of Lucifer and return it stating that the damage is so inconceivable that kittens around the world are dying every second you stare at your iPod, but that is inadvisable. You might want to just return it if you bought it from Best Buy or some other similar electronics store (if you bought it recently), and then go buy another one at a later time... but I would just recommend keeping it. Call it a battle wound, not a scar, then all the chicks will dig it.

5. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

That doesn't really make scratches go away, but it's worth a shot if you want to do it. As long as you don't rub too hard.

6. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

7. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

8. Draythor thread starter macrumors 6502

Draythor

9. Draythor thread starter macrumors 6502

Draythor

As well as leaving your iPod feeling minty fresh:D
    ...ahem

I gave this a try on the small chip in the corner of the class (in the black border)
    Worked fairly well, the chip has definitely shrank. I'm still a little hesitant to try it on the scratch though. What can go wrong?

I don't think I'd take it for repair at an Apple store, just replacement. I know that they'd never replace it for user damage, fact is though i was considering having it replaced anyway. Every now and again I'll sync my iPod annd it will come back with the most random date and time you've ever seen. Not just another time zone another time entirely.
    For example:

Synced a minute ago and the date is now:

13:21 19th December 2005

:mad:

10. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Sorry, didn't notice your location. This product http://www.displex.de/polish/english/index.htm is made in Germany and is available in the UK (as well as worldwide) . It's purported to remove scratches from displays. However, most displays are plastic or polycarbonate and may polish out a lot easier than the touch's glass display. It's worth a try. As far as toothpaste - I'd be wary of that since toothpaste is an abrasive and might leave you with thousands of microscratches which aren't as noticable as a big scratch, but will tend to scatter the light and cause some problems under certain conditions (think headlights hitting a windscreen scratched by wipers).

The US products I suggested are made to fill in scratches rather than polish them out. You might try ringing up a few eyeglass sellers to see if they have similar products or services available.

EDIT: Let me back up on my suggestion. It seems that Displex is made for plastic displays only. Here http://www.rkdm.com/liquidlense/?gclid=CI3R-PLQ2JICFQInlgod2XHP_w is a product that is made to fill in scratches in glass and is sold worldwide. It's a liquid polymer that fills in scratches. You might still check with local eyeglasses vendors for a similar product. Some auto parts dealers may have a similar product for windscreen repair.

11. Draythor thread starter macrumors 6502

Draythor

These seem promising. I'm fairly sure that the old man has a glasses repair kit, I'll have to see if he can dig it out when he gets back from across the pond.
    I'm going to go to a jewelers sometime during the week, see what they recommend. thanks for the help though.

12. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Hope everything goes A-ok and the toothpaste is an old trick for watches and glasses but obviously an alternative.