Scratched iPad as a replacement for my pristine new one

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smoothop, Sep 4, 2010.

1. smoothop macrumors newbie

So...the saga continues. My crazy acting iPad got sent in for repair as the technician confirmed the screen had a problem..(thank goodness my iPad behaved well and didn't work properly those few minutes!) In 3 days i got an SMS that my iPad was ready so off I trip to the shop where i'm told I've been given a new one. I am handed a plastic wrapped iPad in a cellophane bag with a different serial number. I go home and it works ...but hey! All my apps locate me 50Km from where I actually live, setting up my mail is hell while I keep getting the 'user name or password are incorrect', and, oh my GOD! scatches, ok tiny ones, in several places around the screen. Passing your finger around the edges it's also wonky. It has obviously been opened and not even very cleanly. Any thoughts on what I should do? This is obviously not a new one right? Ideas please......

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I would tell them you want another one in the same or better condition than the one you sent in!

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Always inspect the replacements in store - I rejected 3 iPod Touches until I got one that wasn't crap.

4. smoothop thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I rang the shop which then said it was the repair company's problem and gave me their number, they said that the iPad replacements came from Apple, so gave me the free number for Apple. Just as I was trying to ring Apple the repair center rang me back saying not to bother calling Apple.... just take my iPad to the shop where they will send it in for repairs so that they will then send me a new one! hehhe......I reckon that they got found out and don't want Apple to know of their dirty tricks to customers. Anyway I should be getting a new iPad now.....On an afterthought i was reading about serial numbers, well my first new ipad started with GB0XXXXXX this refurb one is CQ0XXXXXXX putting these in the serial checker GB0 comes from Foxconn China, CQ0 comes from: Unknown factory!!mmmmm

5. smoothop thread starter macrumors newbie

Took the scratched one back and got a replacement yesterday...serial still starting with CQ0! This one isn't recognized by iTunes and is stuck in recovery mode. Have tried everything in the book...uninstalling iTunes & reinstalling, reinstalling apple mobile support, I have tried on MAC OSX, SL, Vista and XP (missing linux here ) same result ie: nothing. Tried DFU mode: nothing. Going back again today.....the story continues.

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Damn dude you really sound like you have the worst luck in the world.

7. pmkoch macrumors regular

It sounds rather shady. Personally, I would call Apple and see what they say about it. Usually you can exchange directly through them if you do not have an Apple store close by.

8. smoothop thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so the shop tested out my iPad and said that the port was broken so.......Tuesday another iPad! But i spoke to the technician who told me that they only replace with 'refurbs' so even my next iPad could have some defect. If this doesn't work etc. I'll be calling Apple Support to REALLY complain!!! Here in Italy the refurbs don't even come in a box, just a pink plastic bag inside which is the ipad in a padded white pochette....Obviously with the serial starting with CQ0...
    YES I must be very very unlucky.

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

That doesn't sound all that different than the U.S. But what comes in the replacement bag may be a refurb or it may be new. Many refurbs are better than new because they have been more throughly checked. I recently got a replacement that started with serial number CQ0 and it was absolutely perfect. Probably the best build quality of any iPad I've seen yet.

10. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

How do you find out where it came from? My iPad starts with AK. Wondering if that's a refurb they replaced my iPad with or a new one.

11. smoothop thread starter macrumors newbie

AK is a new one...go to this link and type in your serial number:
    http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php if it's a refurb the factory will just be blank! All serials with CQ0 are refurbs. Hope my next one (tuesday) will work perfectly and be scratchfree!:confused: