Scratched iPhone camera -covered under warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BMW335i, Jun 7, 2011.

1. BMW335i macrumors newbie

Try to be nice, new guy to the forums. I searched and apparently scratched camera lens (made of plastic, really apple??) are quite common.
    My camera is blurred beyond belief and I'm wondering if apple will cover it under warranty.
    I am asking instead of trying at an apple store because the nearest one is an hour away.
    I know that with my car, such a problem is considered a manufacturer's defect.

Will apple consider this a defect or wear and tear? I don't have a single scratch on my iPhone, but I hardly use my case.

Thanks,
    David.

2. angelnilo macrumors member

Hey David,
    Some 'geniuses' are really rude and if you take it into the store and state your problem youre most likely going to be laughed at and told that it is not covered, although i have not tried exchanging a phone for this reason.
    BUT what you can do is take it into the store and say you have been having problems with your home button i.e. you think dust is stuck in there because when you press the home button it takes a couple of tries for it to react.
    whenever i have an issue this is what i say and i get my iPhone replaced.
    hope this helps. :)

3. BMW335i thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha, do i know you? I originally scheduled an appointment for my home button barely responding, but then i updated to 4.33 and it's been working perfectly.
    I figured they'd replaced the phone and my camera problem would go away, but it seems my original problem disappeared.

Do you think if i downgrade to 4.2.1, my home button will stop responding again?

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll avoid being the moral police here, I'm sure plenty of others will volunteer for that duty here in a moment.

You scratched the camera lens, I'm curious how that is Apples fault. As for your reference to your car, I have a scratch on my car - but don't see how that is covered under my warranty. Care to elaborate?

5. angelnilo macrumors member

if youre human then youve been immoral once or twice in your lifetime.

being immoral just once to avoid paying $599+ is an OK tradeoff for me.

to David, if youre going to want to get your phone replaced, then what i stated before is your best bet.

i have no idea is reverting will make your homebutton lag again, but usually when the homebutton is laggy its caused by dirt and dust that collects in the home button corners BECAUSE i stick it in my pocket, WHICH is also my fault, but apple is kind enough to exchange it for me free of charge.
    furthermore, if you can take advantage of a warranty, then why not?
    and leave ethics and morals out of it, after all its a BU$iNE$$ transaction :)
    :):):):):):):apple:

6. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

and afterall, apple will refurb it and get their money....nobody gets hurt :cool:

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes it is. If your iPhone has a nice screen, ask for a back replacement. Do NOT get a refurb. If you do, request it not to be 5K. You can do this as I have the last 2 times.

There are 2 replacement number

5K (yellow tint) refurb

61 (white tint) refurb

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

On the iPhone 4 can't they replace the back for $30? I would assume that would include the outside of the camera.

9. angelnilo macrumors member

i dont get it, what difference does this make?
    retina screen? is that where the tint difference is?

10. angelnilo macrumors member

You are the brain.
    my point exactly, but in fewer words.
    good job! haha

11. angelnilo macrumors member

not sure, but i think you can find the back replacement (which is an easy install)
    and do it yourself.
    you just HAVE to make sure you get the correct screw driver, as apple has changed it from the regular phillips to a difference star looking one, i forget the name.

12. wxman2003 Suspended

Be careful with the replacement backs. Most of the cheaper online versions do not have a flash diffuser. I bought one, and although it looks just like it, and say they are OEM replacements, they are fakes. Stay away from cnn.cn. If it's cheap, it's usually is cheap.

13. BMW335i thread starter macrumors newbie

It's apple's design flaw that allows the camera lens to wear prematurely.

Say the gear selector on my bmw stops going into DS from D because the wire connection snapped from me slamming the selector into DS mode.
    BMW covers it under warranty, not because it was faulty from the factory, but b/c it fails before it should because of it's design.

I never said I expected apple to cover it, I just stated that something like this would be covered on my car. (the only other thing that ive used a warranty for).

14. BMW335i thread starter macrumors newbie

is that part of the serial number?