Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Well...got an iphone 6+ the other day without a contract. Dropped the phone before the case arrived(amazon slow shipping hurts!). The phone now has a little scratch on the back...just cosmetic nothing major. Do you think Apple store will still take it in? The phone is still within the 14-day return period.

Thanks.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Well...got an iphone 6+ the other day without a contract. Dropped the phone before the case arrived(amazon slow shipping hurts!). The phone now has a little scratch on the back...just cosmetic nothing major. Do you think Apple store will still take it in? The phone is still within the 14-day return period.

Thanks.
And what would be the basis of your return? (If it's just a little scratch on the back, and nothing cosmetic, and you're putting a case on it.)

Reactions: ABC5S

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks.
Sure Apple will take it back.

Are you canceling service with your return or purchasing a different model or color phone?

No? You want to use a return period to cover damage you personally did to the phone?

Ah, sorry. Cosmetic damage that does not affect the proper functioning of the phone does not qualify as a defect and therefore something covered under standard warranty. And Apple only covers clumsiness if you buy AC+ and do more than cosmetic damage.

But if you're returning the phone with no intent to get another - you're good to go!

Reactions: willmtaylor

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
I am going back with Android after almost 2 weeks with the 6+.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Well, since it's a scratch it's visible. but only on the back case...nothing on the glass.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Sure Apple will take it back.

Are you canceling service with your return or purchasing a different model or color phone?

No? You want to use a return period to cover damage you personally did to the phone?

Ah, sorry. Cosmetic damage that does not affect the proper functioning of the phone does not qualify as a defect and therefore something covered under standard warranty. And Apple only covers clumsiness if you buy AC+ and do more than cosmetic damage.

But if you're returning the phone with no intent to get another - you're good to go!

There's nothing stopping him returning it and then buying a new one with that returned money though.

Reactions: eyoungren

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
I had an iPhone 5c which was accidentally dropped and ended up with a noticeable chip in the side of the phone. I returned it within the 14 day period (by courier as it was an online order), expecting to have a fee deducted from my refund but they actually gave me a full refund. I then went on to buy a 5s instead.

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Return it. Don't mention anything about a scratch and whoever is trying to bash you on this thread I bet they did it themselves on some item or items in their lives. LoL

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
To conclude this thread, I did receive a full refund. The customer service took a good look at the device and didn't say much. I'm sure she noticed the scratch on the back but was nice enough to give me a full refund.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Thanks.

well doesn't Apple store Apple a Restocking Fee if you are Not Exchanging ?

in Any case yes 100% Return the iPhone 6+ Unless the cause you get will not cover the scach

in any case buying a 6+ now or last week was a very bad move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.