Scratched iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pitobread, Sep 22, 2007.

1. pitobread macrumors newbie

I purchased my iphone five days ago and something terrible happened today. A friend of mine was holding the phone, pressing random bottoms and getting a feel for the awsome gadget. Somehow, in a split second, the phone slipped out of his finger tips and fell down the four long feet to the asphalt. I'm not sure what was more painful. Watching my brand new iphone fall from his finger tips down onto the asphalt below or watching it bounce up like an epileptic rabbit and land again on the asphalt.

The phone works perfectly but there are some pretty obvious scuffings on the bottom of the metallic frame and a little of the black casing. It was a complete accident (and the phone still works perfectly) so I'm not holding it against my friend. I'm trying not to cry about spilt milk--the phone still works which I'm psyched about, but I'm just wondering if theres anything I can do (the phone is still within warranty).

Any help is appreciated. I might put up some pictures later (it hurts, oh god it hurts). But yeah, bummer.

2. sanford macrumors 65816

I thought you meant you scratched the screen and I wondered how in the world you managed that.

Rule 1, never ever let anyone else hold your iPhone.

Rule 2, get one of these plastic snap-on cases that covers the parts other than the screen. They don't add much bulk.

Rule 3, repeat Rule 1.

As for warranty, no way no how unless you get some lunatic at the Apple Store. If it broke something and wouldn't work, they might replace it just because of that even though they saw the scuffs but that didn't prove cause of failure.

My experience, before my video iPod which I put in one of these plastic snap-on cases any time except docked, I got some non-screen scratches all over some iPods. Since it's not on the screen, you just sort of stop seeing them. Trust me, it will eat you alive for about a week, slowly ebb and you'll stop noticing. Also, if you get one of those cases I mention you won't be able to see the scratches, only when you pop it out to dock it.

You can pay to have the affected parts replaced, but you will fair bit. Nice thing about flash models; you can practically launch them from a catapult and they won't quit working.

And Rule 4, repeat Rule 1.

3. pitobread thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess that gives me two options: stare into the sun for a few hours to permanently blurr my vision.

or

get a case.

I think I'll get a case (any recomendations?).

I've been working on associating the scratches with posative memories of my childhood so I won't get depressed everytime I look at them. It's going to take some time, but maybe (just maybe) I'll be able to work through this.

I see blue skies ahead. blue skies!

4. vat macrumors newbie

You know, try looking at it form a different angle. I don't have an iPhone yet (ordered!), but I don't feel bad for stuff like that. Those are working tools, they should be tough for me to not care about them. I drop my phone all the time, I sit on it, eat on (and with) it, I take it with me to the toilet, I take it with me to ATV trips.... and it is holding on just fine. That is its job. Don't worry, you'll drop your phone many times...

5. one1 macrumors 65816

How about since you don't want your friend to pay for it's diminished value (which he should say...... $125 or so) you should at least make him buy the case to cover up his damage.

......then give him a guilt trip about it for a few months :D

If you do it, that's yours to do it to, but if someone else damages your property they pay the diminished value or buy a new one.

6. sanford macrumors 65816

Case:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B3FAC19&nplm=TN613LL/A

It's got a bit of a low review rating, but I've had zero problems. It is a bit more flimsy than a similar clear plastic case I have for my video iPod. But a lot the closeure-tab wear and breaking seems to have something to with people not knowing how to open it. You gently, meaning with reasonable necessary force, prior it apart at the bottom at the dock connector opening. Took me a little bit to figure it out, too, but I didn't go yanking at every seam before I realized where I was supposed to open it. It won't open anywhere else without using too much force. It won't fit in the dock with case on, it probably would in a universal iPod dock without the iPhone insert, but it's not a good idea to charge these kind of batteries in cases as the trapped heat during charging can over time reduce the battery's over all charge capacity and life. It's safe enough to sync with the cable through the connector port opening at the bottom, but I wouldn't charge it in this case or any case.

The case does get scratched, as does my thicker video iPod case. To me, that's the point: it scratches, the iPhone doesn't. If it gets to the point I can't stand it, I'll replace it; but since it doesn't cover the screen it doesn't bother me.

I don't know about dust trapped inside the case scratching the iPhone, as some mention. I clean the iPhone and the inside of the case whenever I dock my iPhone. At any rate, it's not any dust I'm encountering. Space rock dust, maybe. Now take it to the beach, shove sandy seashells in your pocket with the iPhone in the case, sure. This would be true of any close-fitting case. And it's just not wise. Silica grit of any kind will probably scratch the glass screen of the iPhone if it works at it enough.

I hate belt clips, but I like this one. And the belt clip outer case snaps off, so no need for clip, no clip. The clip is not in my experience flimsy at all, and it rotates round so when you sit, where a seat belt, whatever, you can adjust the position.

It comes with a single plastic sheet screen protector. I'm not sure how much you need it as even in your unfortunate drop scenario, the screen was fine. I almost think the screen will smash before it scratches. Some reviewers went after the unprotected screen with keys and nothing. Anyway, I put it on, and since it affects touch control not at all, screen image not all, and I can't even tell it's there, I left it. I guess insurance against my three-year-old going after it with sandpaper -- like that would happen, but you'd be amazed what can happen with three-year-old boy in the house.

Price is reasonable, too, relatively speaking. Of course it's like $25 for $1.17 in molded plastic, but that's the way these things run.

Finally, vat up there has a point too, that any device that is to be carried and used, and functionally is pretty rugged, it's going to get wear-and-tear. I'm a writer and for some reason I stress the S key on my MacBook, and the "S" lettering on it is pretty much faded to nothing, but what hould I do, never type tuff with any " " in the type cript?

I've had freaking iPods since day one, so I just have head start on you with you chilling out about dings, scratches, etc. You just have an epiphany one day and stop worrying about.

p.s. If your iPhone-dropping friend is a neurosurgeon or something, kill him before he becomes a threat to others. ;)

Oh that's like inhuman, man.