Scratched Jailbroken 3GS, what will Apple Store say?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cualexander, Feb 26, 2010.

1. cualexander macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I'm kind of in a pickle. I stupidly dropped my iphone 3GS and scratched up the screen pretty bad. It's not cracked, just several deep scratches. I have to have it back by March 6th because I'm going out of the country for 10 days, so I was thinking of biting the bullet and taking it to the Apple store and paying $199 so I know it gets fixed that day. Obviously I could get it repaired cheaper on the web and potentially get it back in time but I don't know if I want to risk that to save $85 or so(usually runs $115 with shipping for trustworthy companies) And I basically destroyed my 3G when I tried repairing it myself so I don't want to go down that road again either, even though it's significantly cheaper.

Would they just replace my screen? I don't want a replacement iphone unless it was on 3.1.2 with the old boot loader. This 3GS was bought on the first day it was released. And the second problem is that it's really obviously jailbroken with the pwnapple logo and everything. If I'm paying them to fix it will they still give me crap about it being jailbroken? My concern is even if I turn it off and they fix the screen, they are still going to want to turn it on afterwards and they would immediately see the pwnapple.

I do have firmware ECID on file with Cydia, so I could potentially downgrade back to stock 3.1.2, but I really would rather not risk it if I don't have to.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Please help. I did search for what it's worth, but if you know of another thread please link.

Thanks.

2. rogue7 macrumors member

mmmm idk i think itll kinda depend on what genius you get. but most likely you will just get your warranty voided but since yours is probably already out of warranty it shouldnt be a big issue

3. cualexander thread starter macrumors 6502a

It worked out after all

Well I decided Apple can keep their $200 overpriced screen repair. I went on craigslist and lucked out and found a guy down the street from me who repairs iPhones, and he said he would do it tonight. I drove other there dropped off my iPhone and 30 minutes later I had a new screen. It was only $90. I admit, it was a bold move on my part to trust a stranger with my iPhone, but I knew where he lived if he had decided to screw me over.

I'm extremely satisfied actually, it's a true 3GS screen and feels like a brand new phone. Obviously I'm not going to post this person's info on here, but if anyone is in Charlotte, NC who wants a referral you can PM me.

Apple is really ripping people off for the $200 screen repair considering they can get parts at cost and it only takes them 10 minutes to do it.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good job, thats what I'd do also.
    About the Apple $200 fee its not just for the screen. They replace your whole phone not just the screen. And refurbish the the old one you gave them.
    They should offer a screen repair service for around $100 IMO since thats what seems to break the most on the phone if people drop them etc...

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

wow wow wow slow your roll

let me get this straight, you damage your iPhone, and you have the nerve to complain because they offer a service for replacing the phone/screen, when almost ALL OTHER cell phones do not have this option, even though there is nothing wrong with the phone except for something cosmetic ?

I think you need to reword your statement

Glad everything turned out OK, but don't blame apple for your mistakes

6. cualexander thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK. IF Apple is just replacing the screen they are ripping people off. The glass and digitizer costs them maybe $20. The labor costs them maybe $10(if you even count a full hour). That is an 85% gross profit margin at worst.

Now IF the $200 is a refurbishment instead, then I stand corrected. I had read online that the $200 was for them to pop out your screen and replace it in 10 minutes. If that isn't the case, I am wrong and I will admit that.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Pretty sure that isn't the case. Everything I've read is that it's replace a damaged phone out-of-warranty for 200 dollars.

8. cualexander thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

No. The screen replacement is $199, and the OOW repair is also $199. If you shatter the glass, they put a new display assembly on it for $199. But the rest is still your old iPhone. If you pee on it, and activate the water sensors, and swim with it, they will give you a refurbished iPhone for $199

10. OfficeLinebacke macrumors member

Most major cities now have cell phone repair shops that can replace the glass in about an hour and a half or so.

11. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry I didn't realize you ran Apple Inc and knew exactly the cost and labor for these repairs. And I'm impressed you can add and multiply too, you must be some kind of accountant being able to figure out gross profit margins. Oh and I guess only dumb people like myself talk about supply and demand, and how the value of a good, isn't a fixed value and can fluctuate based on the need and rarity of that commodity.

Wow I'm sorry I ever doubted you .

Yeah you are wrong

12. Aleco macrumors regular

In any case, Apple is definitely a rip-off company. The name is rip-off itself, however there is no way for me to hate Apple. This is how they have 23 BILLION in cash reserves...

Don't get me wrong here, I still buy their products. :D

Shenaniganz08: The guy just wanted to fix his screen, and he went with a cheaper alternative and left the hassle of him formatting his iPhone then getting this brand new iPhone and if the the bootloader version was updated, then he would be screwed because he'll have to wait for a new jailbreak.

There is no reason to protect your boyfriend, just because he's criticizing Apple. Oh and the labor parts for the iPhone are public, with a little bit of research you'll find the Chinese manufacturers.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

At my local Apple store for a screen replacement they just give you a refurb and take your old phone in.
    Some places like you said do the repairs there for you while other Apple stores ship them out and just give you a refurb.

14. OfficeLinebacke macrumors member

And others will give you the refurb, then repair the one you turned in while not being under the pressure to fix it while the customer waits, checking it out thoroughly, and then give that one to the next person, etc.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

At my local apple store, if its the screen or glass, they install a new screen assembly. (new glass, home button, display, ear piece

17. thkevinlee macrumors newbie

My iPhone 3gs is jailbroken and i accidentaly updated it for the newest version in itunes.
    My iphone then restarted and then i can't use it anymore.
    It said that the sim card is unsupported and the screen on my iphone
    just shows connect iphone to itunes. HELP PLEASE?!?!?!
    and thanks in advance!:)

18. cualexander thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I am an accountant. And I never said you were dumb, although based upon this response I've reached that conclusion. My numbers were based upon industry figures and going rate for labor. You don't exactly have to have a computer science degree to work in Apple retail. My numbers weren't exactly a shot in the dark and if anything probably overstated.

If you want to talk supply and demand, iPhone OEM parts aren't exactly a rare commodity, and the iPhone repair work isn't exactly rocket science. I could have done it myself, just preferred not to because its not something I do everyday and the risk of messing it up is great if you aren't careful. Apple would probably make more money on repair work if it were more reasonable. If my options were pay $90 to an outside party or $100 to Apple, I'd gladly pay Apple any day. If $200 is the magic price, why does every single iPhone repair company besides Apple charge less for screen repair?

Even a refurbished unit for $200 isn't that good if I have to surrender my current one, since they will just fix my current one for $30 and turn around and sell it for another $200. Still the same economics either way really.

Yes, Apple can charge anything it wants to charge. I was just trying to put the economics into perspective, and as someone who has bought all 3 generations of iPhones, I guess my hope was that Apple could do its users a favor and not try to gouge them on simple repair work.

Just trying to spread information to people trying to get their phones fixed that they might be better served getting it repaired locally or on the web for a reasonable fee rather than going the Apple route.

19. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

The problem is you are basing your "estimated value on"

a) Chinese Aftermarket Parts (which most repair shops use)
    b) The depreciated value of these parts based on strong competition

Last year (when apple started its $199 out of warranty service) the cost of the replacement Glass/Digitizer/Frame/LCD ( referred to as "top display") was about $130-150. So those wanting to get their damaged phones replaced by apple (and keep their warranty ) sure didn't complain about the $199 price for a brand new OEM top display ( or a brand new phone if the damage was bad enough)

Now that there is so much competition between aftermarket parts sellers, the total cost of a "top display" is less than $80.. Even less if you just need to replace the glass/digitizer

Now lets look at your other comment
    "The cost of the glass/digitizer is only $20, and labor $10"

No way in hell is that labor only worth $10. I Replaced my Glass screen and LCD ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=871308 ) and there's no way I would just accept $10 for the job

You mentioned the glass/digitizer parts cost $20. But once again you are referring to devalued Ebay aftermarket parts.

========================================
    $200 is overpriced if you just want to replace a scratched screen (that's what vanity get's you ) . But if you have a phone that you dropped, that has a broken LCD,damaged digitizer, broken glass, and the frame is damaged, $200 does not seem like an exaggerated value.

20. OfficeLinebacke macrumors member

True. Also note at that price ($20) you're probably getting something that works fine but it might not have the oleophobic coating, and the glass might be a bit thick.

I also agree that if you broke it good (ie glass and digitizer and frame), $200 isn't bad for OEM parts. You can probably get the service done cheaper and 95% as good for a lot less, but it's not a bad option.

21. cualexander thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, for $90 I got perfect oleophobic coated glass installed that looks exactly like my original. $16 was the original estimated manufactured cost for Apple to build it, not Chinese aftermarket parts. The entire phone costs them $178.

http://www.isuppli.com/News/Pages/i...ufacturing-Cost-iSuppli-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

And $10 is based on what a "genius" probably makes an hour. And you could even argue that is a sunk cost anyways since the genius would be working during that time anyhow. Therefore, it wouldn't even be relevant necessarily.

22. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

OHHH I HAD NO IDEA.. Again I am impressed by your accounting skills, I never realized that companies sold their products to consumers at manufacturing costs. And free labor, yeah that sounds like a winner too. No wonder all the companies that markup their goods go out of business so soon.

Well then I guess I can just go into an apple store and buy a brand new 16GB Iphone 3GS for $178

I heard it costs $500-800 to get a timing belt replaced at my dealership WHAT A RIP OFF !!!
    I think I saw the timing belt for my car at Pepboys for $20 but it probably only costs $1-$2 dollars to make . I'm going to go into my car dealership and demand that they replace such a cheap part at manufacturing cost, and why pay for labor, since the mechanics would just be standing around anyways !!!

:rolleyes:

/end sarcasm.

You are freaking dense man, there is no point in arguing with you any further

23. OfficeLinebacke macrumors member

There are "high copy" front glass units going around without oloephobic coating and you have little way of knowing until you've received it. $90 is a bit high for a 3G replacement, good deal for 3GS.