Scratched Macbook screen (maybe)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calvy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

I picked up a used Macbook the other day. The screen is slightly scratched I think. It's clearly from the keyboard area rubbing up against the LCD. It may not be a scratch, it may just be hand oil/gunk. But I've tried my iKlear, and it doesn't do anything to it at all. I'd include a picture, but I'm not sure I can get a good picture of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with this? I'd just replaced the LCD but I don't really want to spend 200 bucks to fix this problem. It's hardly even noticeable when the display is on.

I was hoping maybe there was a cleaning agent that might work better/polish scratches in a glossy screen. Or maybe there's a certain cheap piece of the display panel that can be replaced instead of replacing the entire LCD display piece. Or can I claim it's the fault of the laptop design and try to get apple to care for it under warranty? (I'm thinking that's a pipe dream)

2. one1 macrumors 65816

Don't go run out and try this, but Meguiars makes a product called Plastix that is made to polish (obviously) plastic and I have used it with great success on my ipods (all generations).

For legal reasons they state not to use it on LCD's, but I have never seen it fail on ipods and pda screens. It has worked flawlessly.

I recommend if you attempt it on your screen, that you find another one that is junk to test it on first.

3. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

you need to be very careful when trying to clean out a scratch as I believe the glossy screens are coated in something that can be removed if you rub hard enough. This will then look worse than your scratch.

4. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I keep seeing people suggest scratch removes that are made for ipods. But it seems to my like everyone that says that isn't considering the glossy screen aspect of this. I'm more than sure I'd remove some gloss from the affected area if I tried some sort of polish. So I'm not really tempted to try that. I was really hoping there was a layer of glass or plastic in the LCD that I could just replace. But I guess not.