Scratched my Apple Watch Sport on the display...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Doctor11, Jun 10, 2015.

1. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I got a thin long scratch on my Apple Watch Sport :(. It's hard to see sometimes but in well lite area's is very obvious. I think a steel thing on a school lab table probably did it when I decided to take a good passing time power nap and lay down on the table.... I'll have a picture of this steel thing tomorrow. If anyone knows how to "fix" it or something let me know. I've heard people have used toothpaste but I would love to hear someone who has tried it on how it went. Just wanted to share my sad story :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. franzkfk macrumors regular

franzkfk

3. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No. Price, I still like the sport better because it is the lightest and IMO the Space Grey Sport looks the best.

4. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

That's

That's to bad. Sorry to hear. For sure post a pic of the culpurate. Power naps do have their risks...

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Aww, sorry to hear that. It's a shame the Sport doesn't have the sapphire screen, but who knows. That steel thing could have scratched the coating on the sapphire anyway. I guess it depends on one's personality but for me the first scratch was always the hardest one to bear, but after it inevitably would happen, I'd relax and enjoy my watches and never really notice the scratch too much anymore. And I wouldn't end up getting that many, if any, more. Lol, sleep more at night and less in class! o_O

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That still doesn't make sense. Steel has a hardness of 4-4.5, and regular glass has a hardness of 4.5-6.5. I'm guessing whatever metal it was had some impurities probably with quartz mixed in -- it's in everything -- and that would scratch the glass. If something scratched my sapphire face, I would open an FBI case on it to figure out what the heck was near me that's that hard. Sorry, the geology nerding ends now.

I don't really think there's a way to fix a scratch unless there's some way of kind of polishing it out. That's how Macworld UK recommends fixing some scratches on the stainless steel body. But a glass scratch is pretty much a scratch. You should probably contact Apple to see if they have suggestions or whatnot. I dropped my iPhone a few weeks ago and the face went kaboom. That only cost $109 to fix, but I think I've heard the Apple Watch will cost more.

7. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

These are the little mofos that did it lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Well, I believe I have scienced out a reasoning. I'm just going on what I've learned in my three upper-level classes and a little research, but I believe it scratched because that's a fairly sharp surface and chromium is a prominent element used in stainless steel. It has an 8.5 hardness on the Mohs scale, which means it's closing in on the 9 rating of sapphire (a form of corundum). As I mentioned before glass is going to be no more than maybe 6.5.

Honestly it's a case of bad luck. I mean objects made of stuff that hard with edges sharpened to any degree aren't really found in most places. You'd pretty much find thing in scientific areas or workshops with nails, drills and other stuff like that. I really wish I knew how to help reduce or get rid of it, if there is a way. I just killed my iPhone screen so I know how that feels. But if you want a silver lining, it makes me feel better to know I got the Watch version since I'm sure stuff like that will be around me as I take these classes and find a job in the field. I have been clanking my watch on my seat belt buckle about every day, so I'm definitely glad I went for the stronger watch since I have obvious clumsiness issues.

If you have a teacher who is knowledgable about minerals and geology, you oughta run that hypothesis by him or her. I'm curious to know if I'm right. Maybe I should email the Mythbusters on that one.

9. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Curious...did you end up trying the toothpaste idea?

10. meikdunj macrumors member

I have some how manage to mark my sapphire screen. I'm not sure it is that resilient to scratches...

11. Knightcastle macrumors regular

Knightcastle

Can you see it with the screen on? Any luck with toothpaste?

12. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I discovered a micro scratch on my 38mm SG this morning and this was my reaction:

"Oh , a micro scratch. Happens.".

13. mr.anthonyramos macrumors regular

mr.anthonyramos

Installing a screen protector will help you see it less. :)

14. Knightcastle macrumors regular

Knightcastle

Screen protectors look worse than scratches.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Consumer Reports couldn't scratch it with the hardest bit they have to test such things. It's VERY scratch-resistant. But you hit the right material with the right amount of force and it'll scratch.

16. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Haven't tried it.

17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It's tough to see that happen to your watch. I agree that your watch looks great though! I think you made a great choice.

18. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

19. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

That has not been my experience on phones, I imagine the same on my watch when I scratch it.

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

This was shot two inches from my screen. At typical watch viewing distance and angles you can't tell

The thumbnails are probably the best indicator. $6 for 6 protectors on Amazon. I installed it last night and grazed my wall today. Paint came off to the watch face which then wiped right off.

I agree the sgs is the best looking but I also know the ion x isn't exact,y the hardest thing ever.

The images appear to show a great deal of Orange peel, I can assure you it's an illusion of close up. Additionally it had only cured for nine hours or so in the pictures

I've insjred my watch with home insurance but j wouldn't want to claim for a few scratches, nor do I want to lay a grand or more for a first gen watch

Anyway this is what I settled on. Let me know if you want to know the product I used.

image.jpg
    image.jpg