Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Totally bummed out. Noticed this morning that i have a two inch long scratches on the lid of my MBP (penryn). I've been transporting and using the MBP a bunch these past couple days. I use an Incase nylon sleeve but nothing on the MBP itself as a case. I love the look of the MBP naked and didn't think I needed a case for the computer itself, but clearly I do if I plan on using it outside my home and in conjunction with my sleeve (which sadly may have played a part in the scratches I suspect).

Anyways, does anyone know of any cases that I could use for the MBP that would allow me to still use it with the Incase sleeve I have? I'm really only concerned with the top of the laptop (so that it covers my lid) vs. the bottom which is almost never looked at or seen.

Lastly, does anyone know of any stickers I could put over the scratch at some point? I'm looking for something that can easily be put over it and taken off. Thanks.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
get one of those invisible cover things, but if you get a hardcase theres really no need for a sleeve. Or just deal with the scratch and get a sleeve that doesnt have a zipper to scratch the mess out of your mac

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I need a soft sleeve that zips all around instead of sliding in from the top. I'm almost positive that is what caused the current scratches on my MBP. My only gripe with what I recently linked is that their is no handle or hooks for a shoulder strap.

Anyone know a sleeve like that?

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
just google macbook pro with handled case or something like that, there is tons of different cases like you what, just depends on your preference. I personally have an Incase hard case and its wonderful. It protects against scratches as well as dents.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I need a soft sleeve that zips all around instead of sliding in from the top. I'm almost positive that is what caused the current scratches on my MBP. My only gripe with what I recently linked is that their is no handle or hooks for a shoulder strap.

Anyone know a sleeve like that?

How about one that it slides in, has a strap, but has no zipper?

http://www.sfbags.com/

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
You sure it's a scratch? A few months after i got mine i noticed two "scratches" on my top lid. I tried cleaning it and it seemed permanent maybe from my cat at night or something hehe.

Anyway as a goof i took one of those magic erasers and started cleaning the lid and it came off!

Not saying this will work for you but might want to give it a shot.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
You sure it's a scratch? A few months after i got mine i noticed two "scratches" on my top lid. I tried cleaning it and it seemed permanent maybe from my cat at night or something hehe.

Anyway as a goof i took one of those magic erasers and started cleaning the lid and it came off!

Not saying this will work for you but might want to give it a shot.

Haha, you probably sanded it down like you do for a scratch in a cars clear coat, then u prob rubbed it with a cloth and buffed it

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
InvisibleShield

A great example of why I suggest putting an InvisibleShield on every Apple laptop. Seriously, I love these things. They're a pain in the @ss to put on but man, do they protect! My wife's MBP has one as does my MB.

As for cases, for the MBP we have a Booq case that feels like ballistic nylon with a hard insert to keep it stiff and provide protection from bumps. It zips around the MBP and I think was described earlier in this thread. I would highly recommend it. For the MB we have a Brenthaven zero impact Edge bag. Very well padded. It's made of the same ballistic nylon with a stiff insert. Protects from bumps and drops. I would recommend it too.

If you put the IS on it you could put stickers over the scratches and change the stickers when you get bored with them.

Good luck,
m&c

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
timbuk2.com is having a clearance sale on their sleeves. $12 plus $6 shipped. better than $35 at REI, plus they a bunch of colours.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Can you post a pic please? I'm wondering how you believe the case you use might have contributed. What part of the case would have caused the scratches?

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Here is a photo of the 2 scratches. I can't say for sure what part of the case caused the scratch. Maybe the zipper? Maybe something inside the sleeve? I really don't know. What I do know is that I had no types of scratches on the lid before using this sleeve. I never fumbled or dropped the Macbook Pro since owning it. I'm positive that placing my laptop in and out of the sleeve caused these scratches. And it's a shame really.

I contacted Incase yesterday via email and they provided me with a link to fill out in order to obtain a replacement sleeve. I emailed them back saying I don't want a replacement I want some sort of future credit or financial compensation. I have yet to hear back. We shall see.

In terms of my future case I'm looking at some of the Booq models. I want a sleeve that zips entirely around. I don't trust slipping the MBP in and out of any type of sleeve at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 158
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.