scratched new alumimium macbook !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PedroMendes, Oct 31, 2008.

1. PedroMendes macrumors newbie

Guys,

Trying to open the cover on the bottom to upgrade the memory and found 1 screw very difficult to get out and managed to scratch the base - not even had it a week as well !! :mad: - fortunately its on the base but is there anything I can use to remove the scratch ? - was thinking of an aluminium polish like say for a car but I know its a matt finish on the macbook as a pose to shiney -

Any help appreciated

P.S. is there a particular screwdriver I should use ? - I was using a phillips 00 and it got all the others out

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Your only options are to buff it out or get on with it! The prior only applies if the scratch is too thin!

3. DeuxIt macrumors member

try sand blasting it.

but seriously, consider it a well earned battle wound. you should see my zero halliburton suitcases. proudly battered aluminum. as will be macbook when i get it.

4. PedroMendes thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers but I've heard brasso is too strong ?? - have you tried it ?

5. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

The aluminum is anodized. If you rub it you may remove some of the anodizing. Then instead of a scratch you'll have a bare spot. You can probably order a replacement cover for not a lot of money.

6. PedroMendes thread starter macrumors newbie

I have thought that - makes it unique in some ways but still bothers me

7. PedroMendes thread starter macrumors newbie

excellent never thought of that - will pop in to an apple store and ask :)

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Ooh hoo... completely skipped my mind.. that one! Sorry! Absolutely true! DO NOT BUFF (and all suggestions given here like brasso or sand stuff are buffing)

Brasso is crap in my opinion! But useless at any cost.... anodized Al

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

tried it on the back of my 1st gen nano -- worked ok

10. PedroMendes thread starter macrumors newbie

just a wee update on this.

Couldn't get one of the screws out for upgrading the ram which was the reason for scratching it in the the first place so booked a genius session at the glasgow apple store. Arrived this evening and approached the first sales assistant. Explained why I was there - first thing she said to me....the ram in the macbook cannot be upgraded :eek: - I said of course it can - I bought mine from crucial - anyway went upstairs to the genius area and after explaining to the genius I would be dealing with came back very red faced and apologised that she had got it wrong - are apple not teaching their staff about their products ?? - within 2 mins screw was out and I asked if bottom cover could be replaced - it can but the cost is £49 !!! :eek: - he did advise that it will come down in price in time but its good to know that it can be replaced.

All sorted now and 4gb ram installed - once you get the cover off its a fairly simple process.

11. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

The 1st gen Nano has a stainless steel back. Not quite the same as anodized aluminum.

12. Philflow macrumors 65816

Brasso works to a certain extend. But it doesn't do miracles.

I've tried silver markers but they don't work. I'm still looking for a solution to cover up scratches. I think that's the best policy, covering up.

Here's the thread I started in the air forum a while ago:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=489753

13. PedroMendes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate - I might try brasso on a small area but I least I know it can be replaced albeit at £49 currently - won't be £49 in 6 months

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I encountered the same BS from some snot-nosed genius at Fashion Island. "The ram isn't a user upgradable feature." Yeah **** that, then don't put it in the owner's manual under "Boost your Mac."

That said, really? You're upset over a slight scratch under your laptop? Tell me you bought a portable so you could be ... well, portable? You're going to get scratches, roll with it. And the price of the under side casing will never come down so long as the MacBooks using the same piece are in production. Clearly the dude has no clue what he's talking about.

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Don't worry about a small scratch...the notebook works fine.

As jessica. said, it's going to inevitably get scuffed up over the years and aluminum is very durable so just trust that the MacBook is not a piece of garbage and will stand up to with hold slight abuse.

16. Your5335 macrumors member

Yea I was kinda upset too when mine got a little, little scratch on the display almost to the top of the display but I forgot about it. The computer still works, just consider it a battle scar.

17. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I scratched the bottom of my new Macbook too.. I slid it across my desk at work and cringed.. Didn't see what was the culprit but it was some kind of debris.

Nothing to freak out about, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

18. PedroMendes thread starter macrumors newbie

]]

your right queshy and jessica - thanks for the input - it just annoys me as it was my own fault however...learn to live with it...yes :)

19. Kaushal macrumors member

if you are so concerned about scratches, get invisible sheild ;)

20. subq macrumors member

You just bought a laptop, expect it to get lots of bumps if you actually use it as a laptop (instead of a desktop).

Mine got knocked off a counter (4 foot drop to the floor) after having it only 2-3 days...picked up some pretty good size dents. However, it is still functioning fine and that's all that matters.

21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Scratches??? When you finally get over scratches, Murphy's Law says you'll get a dent!:eek:

Been there - done that, and have the dents to prove it.;)

22. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

JUST GOt a BIG DENT!

Just noticed looking at the cover of my 10 day old Macbook that i got a nice dent that is annoying as hell; this macbook is much much weaker than the macbook air cover. Word to you all, carry it in a padded bag. It is nowhere as strong as the macbook air cover. :mad:

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is that an opinion or a fact? Have you somehow (seriously) measured the density of the two?

24. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

Sorry, did not qualify. It's my opinion having owned the MBA for >8 months and travelled and beat it around. No specs or measurements....The new MB base feels extremely solid however the aluminum screen cover seems to flex a little more than the MBA's and the battery cover on the MB also feels schintzy as well and now makes a slight rattling noise. Love the MB still, but just my $0.02, it is going to age on the bottom and top faster than an MBA though it seems like the keyboard area/base feels indestructible and shows no flex.

BTW, maybe Apple should have kept the lexan top and bottom on the MB; in white the old MB always looked ageless (ie did not show its scratches...)