scratched screen 6 plus from box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kapybarus, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Kapybarus macrumors regular

Hi, I just bought 6 plus and while applying screen protector I noticed about 1cm long scratched in top left glass ( not screen).

I dont think I did it although it could happen while ducktaping.

scratch is really hard to see, less under protector but my question is what would you do?

Replace it or live with it?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

That you will have to decide on, depending on how bad it bothers you.

3. Kapybarus thread starter macrumors regular

I read that it is quite common to have scratched oleophobic layer on fresh iphone. So I could go to worse iphone with more scratches. Can scratch somehow develop bigger in future or break structure of glass in future? (I have protector on screen)

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I don't believe you should have to live with any "imperfection" you are paying a premium price for a phone that you will be living with for the next few (maybe more/maybe less) years.

You should get what you pay for!

5. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

ive never had an iphone come out screen scratched right out of the box, the aluminum yes but not the screen. swap it out man.

6. Kapybarus thread starter macrumors regular

damn, I really don t know. you can t see it with screen protector on and I am really afraid that another phone will be scratched on worse place :/

7. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Swap it out because it's going to continue to bother you or you wouldn't have created this thread.

It's unlikely your next phone will be scratched. I've had many apple products and only two came pre scratched or dinged. My last was a retina macbook pro with a dent on the bottom the size of a nickel right out of box. I promptly returned it in store (it was ordered online) with no questions asked. No way was I going to live with it given the cost of the products.

Swap it.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If it really bothers you and you know that you didn't make that scratch then definitely get it swapped out. I would also suggest opening it in store and do a thorough inspection before walking out to make sure that there is no scratches on the device.

I've had many occasions when even inspecting the phone at the Apple store, that when I get home, I manage to find some scratches and I end up going back to the store and getting it exchanged.

Right now the phone I have has a little foreign particle underneath the screen and is very visible in bright light whether the screen is on or off. I got it exchanged last Thursday and not sure if I should go to the genius bar and go for the screen replacement or do another return/exchange or do a straight return. Yes get very OCD when it comes to screen quality.

9. eneisch macrumors 6502a

If you decide to take it back I would suggest doing so ASAP. The longer you wait the greater the chance that Apple could claim you made the scratch.

10. G-TEC macrumors newbie

I noticed a 3mm long scratch on my 6 just as I was about apply my protector. You could tell that it wasn't a deep scratch, looked more like a hairline scratch. Went back to the Apple store and exchanged it without any questions.
    2nd phone was scratch free.

11. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I'm sorry, but what?

Duck... taping? Like duct tape? Why was there duct tape involved?

12. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Absolutely agree here. It certainly seems like it's bothering the OP, so why not just take it back to Apple and exchange it for another one?

13. Kapybarus thread starter macrumors regular

I used duct tape to remove particles before applying screen protector.

So I swaped it, now hoping that there will be no other scratch, on first inspect it was ok.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I live in the south and can confirm many people call it "duck" tape.

15. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Apple QC is appalling these days. Had 3 6s all with dust and a 6 + with a screen scratch. Finally accepted a 6+ with a small scratch. And my Air 2 now has a clicky screen.

16. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Good that you were able to swap, I am pretty anal retentive and absolutely hate getting scratches or any sort of damage on anything I own, with that said I've been lucky to never have any sort of damage on any of my iPhones straight out of the box. As soon as I get my iPhones I immediately put on a screen protector and case (usually a waterproof case). I like 360 degree 100% protection from elements. :D It's crazy how pretty and fragile phones are now, compared to just 10 years ago.