Scratched screen fixes without damaging it further?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by amycishere, Dec 19, 2016.

1. amycishere macrumors 6502

Hello, I love my new 38mm Gold Aluminum Apple Watch Series 2. However, the first screen protector I bought kept falling off and I scratched the screen several times before receiving another in the mail. I did some research and I actually found one that stays on by case mate. Last week the arm rest of my wheelchair came down on my watch face and shattered my glass screen protector. Thankfully it did save my screen and no further damage was done to it besides the previous scratches. Case mate is sending me a new screen protector but has anyone found a way to treat or get rid of scratches without damaging the Watch face? When I looked it up online and at YouTube toothpaste had been mentioned but I was wondering if anyone here tried it with success.Thanks. Amy

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Do not use toothpaste, likely too abrasive.

If your screen protector will hide the scratches, I would leave them alone.

3. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!!! Appreciate it!

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I'm astonished at how many people believe or think toothpaste is the all answer to removing scratches on car paint or LCD TV screens. Then I read later to find out it ruined their expensive TV or caused paint damage to their car. Unreal.

If someone was truly seeking the correct information and was unsure of what to do with scratches, contact the manufacturer, they will recommend or point you in the right direction.

5. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

True. Just sometimes the manufacturer may not recommend things that may actually work. But your point is very valid. Especially with an expensive devise such as this. This is why I researched and asked before doing anything. I will call Apple to see if there is anything they recommend, it is just disappointing to me that even though this is the cheaper model that is does scratch so easily and my screen could have shattered just like that, given the price point. Also disappointed that I have yet to find a glass screen protector that covers the entire screen for the Series 2.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am not sure if any screen protector covers the entire screen including the curved edges. Maybe I am wrong but I do not use these protectors.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

For example, for my 4K TV, I purchased an expensive LCD screen cleaner for the screen in case of any fingerprints. It's recommended and professional. I could tell you stories that I have read when the customer returns a high end TV because they ruined the display by using Windex or other harmful chemicals to clean it. Honestly, common sense and research your methods is key to protecting your investment. Some don't think and take unacceptable methods to clean the screen, which now puts them in far worse predicament.