Scratched screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brendanrtw, Aug 26, 2009.

1. brendanrtw macrumors newbie

I'm on week 3 of being a mac newbie and the proud owner of a new MacBook Pro 15" (I'm even excited about Snow Leopard arriving tomorrow .... don't remember that from my Windoze days!!)

Alas, all is not rosy ... I've just noticed a small scratch on my screen, no idea how it got there (heads will roll if I find out!). Although it not going to effect me working on it a great deal, it is starting to get annoying.

Has anyone tried to polish out a scratch using a very fine grade steel wool ... or something similar. I know this can work on scratches on glass, but I'm not sure what the surface of the monitor is actually made of, so a little hesitant in case I make things worse.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I would not use steel wool or anything similar. The screen is actually plastic, not "glass" in the typical sense, so I expect a plastic polish would probably work better. I wouldn't bet my screen on it though so don't take my word as truth.

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The screen is enclosed by glass, not plastic. It says so at the Apple site and -- along with the alum. body -- is what makes it "green." The trackpad is also glass.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The screen is a type of glass that is actually made of plastic, called acrylic glass, which is actually a type of plastic. I don't know about the trackpad but I suppose it probably is as well.

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

So how do you know that's what Apple uses for the screen. The WP article says it was used for the case of the G4 cube. Apple's website just says the display is glass.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

glass sounds better than acrylic plastic? it's marketing

7. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Well, for one, if it really was glass EVERYONE would break it. Glass is not really bendable at all. Also I remember Apple talking about their new "glass" screen somewhere.

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

So what, who needs to bend it? It lays flat in the lid. Even the WP article linked above states that PMMA is brittle under load. Glass can be made strong and non-brittle, depending on how it is composed.

Maybe Apple does use PMMA -- I can accept that they do -- but what's the source for that information? They've made a big deal about being green and using recyclable materials -- glass and aluminum. So if the screen is really plastic, why doesn't Apple say so, and why isn't Greenpeace calling them out for it. Or is PMMA as recyclable as glass? The WP article doesn't say one way or the other.