Scratched up my iMac screen bad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JS82189, May 9, 2010.

1. JS82189 macrumors regular

When I was installing RAM last year in my mom's iMac I was really careless and there was a usb cord underneath and the screen has gotten scratched up.

The scratches are rather deep.

Should I get screen repair? Can Apple replace the glass screen?

I would like to use my mom's iMac now that I have an iPad, and am looking at selling my Macbook Pro 13" because it really is unnecessary for what I do (student)

2. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Well, I hope you learned your lesson, and that is not to treat a $2000 machine carelessly.

Apple do replace the glass cover for the iMacs, if you still have AppleCare coverage. However, I don't think they will replace one because you had an 'accident.'

It wouldn't hurt to try though.

But on the bright side, I'm assuming your mom has the last gen iMac models? If I'm right, you're in luck, because you might be able to find a new glass screen to buy and replace the one you have now.
    I'd check out ifixit. They might have it. If not, there are plenty of other places you can look.

Good luck!

3. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Call the local Apple certified repair places. Don't drag the thing along. Just ask a rep there for a quote on a screen replacement, and make sure they understand that the LCD is fine, it's just the external glass.

The quote may end up in the $700 range, but since it's only the external glass, it might be less.

Good luck. I know I've done dumb things in a hurry before as well.

4. JS82189 thread starter macrumors regular

im sure apple care has run out, ill try the local guys. I just need to get the glass repaired as said before, glass screen + labor, cant be more than like.. too much...

5. WilliamG macrumors G3

Wouldn't bother with repair. Just buy new glass! What size iMac is it? I see here you can buy replacement glass for $109.95 for a new one for the 24" iMac. All you need is a suction cup and the glass comes off. You can swap the glass yourself in under 60 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YsCTNVEYt8

6. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

OMG'SH! LOL! COOL!

7. JS82189 thread starter macrumors regular

nice! thanks

was hoping to skip out on a $700 labor bill