Scratched Vibrator Ribbon Replacing Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KAB2010, Nov 28, 2013.

1. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

I replaced the battery on my iPhone 5 due to it not holding a charge like it used to, and did so successfully (although it seemed as difficult as open heart surgery).

My problem is that while removing the battery it had a ton of adhesive/glue so it had to be pried out from each side. While prying from the top, I scratched or partly tore the little ribbon running horizontally under it which controls the vibrator motor. My stepdad tried to fix it by using foil and electrical tape and it did make it work for about 30 seconds, but the vibration may have moved that out of place again.

Has anyone ever had this issue and found a way to fix it? Please help.. I cannot afford to pay for a new phone right now and without vibration I will never even know if I have a notification as I cannot keep it on ring most of the time.

2. DFTU101 macrumors member

I think you can find a replacement part for that for around $15 on ifixit.com

3. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I was skeptical to view this thread based on the title.

4. posguy99 macrumors 6502

If all you did was scratch a trace on the mylar, get a silver trace pen from Radio Shack and try that to repair it.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That is a great suggestion but I think it is a ribbon cable.

6. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Using electrical tape and aluminum foil, it is working again. Although now it strongly vibrates the entire time a phone call or alarm goes off. Better than nothing I guess.. Out of all the guides I read and watched, not a single one warned me of the copper ribbon under the battery. Would have definitely avoided loosening the battery adhesive in that area had I known.