Scratches and Colors

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roland.g, Sep 16, 2014.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I didn't read the other reviews in as much detail but I found it interesting that the Engadget review mentioned two issues.

The iPhone case seems scratch prone. I haven't used a case ever and on stopped using any sort of skin on the iPhone 4. However they indicated that the new 6 and 6 Plus picked up scratches fairly easily. I may need to go back to putting a skin on it.

The other interesting item is that the 6 Plus looked much larger in white. I actually ordered a white/silver 6 Plus. I have a white iPad Mini and a white 5, after owning a black 4. Never thought I would like the white so much, but I think it is because of how clean and crisp it is, as well as the silver rather than slate back. However, they said the 6 Plus seems bigger in white because of how the black face blends with the sides. I guess black is slimming.

2. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

You have no idea what their usage is on the phones. Coin, Keys, Knife, EDC Pen, etc.

Don't get all bothered by it until you have one.

3. wxman2003 Suspended

They said the small scratches came from sliding them around on an office table. Who knows how many times, how smooth the table etc. But if you slide aluminum on virtually anything enough times, you will scratch it.

4. uchosen macrumors 6502

Edit: wxman2003 beat me to it

The dude on Engadget said "The most extreme thing I did to the phones during this time was slide them around on an office table". I know we don't know the extent but I assume it would scratch doing something like this :confused:

5. dkh587 macrumors regular

I am starting to regret ordering the space grey. I really want the silver now. Ugh why is life so hard

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

First world problems

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's the problem with aluminum, it scratches. I'm a little surprised that people think this isn't going to be the case. I mean, we've known this since the original iPhone:

[​IMG]

And even before that:

[​IMG]

If you don't want scratches, a skin is the way to go. Even if you're putting a case on it.

8. hamiltonrwatch macrumors regular

hamiltonrwatch

I'm good with scratching it myself, I just don't want it to come from China "Pre-scratched & dented" like my 5:D

9. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

What I guess I don't guess is if it is a different metal than the back of the 5/5S. My. 5 has no case and no skin and no scratches. And I've dropped it in between my console and car seat a hundred times, dropped it on the floor. Slid it around not realizing there was grit between it and the surface, etc. I am careful but I also expose it to a ton of all day real world usage. And it is almost flawless is the casing to the 6 different?

----------

As for the skin. I am torn on the idea of that. I skinned my original iPhone and 3G but the problem was that the skins were designed to cover the chrome bezel and wrapped around the front. It made them catch in your pocket and peel back and get nasty looking with lint fuzz. On the 4 it made sense on the back which was flat. I've put them on my 2008 unibody MacBook and my 2012 Air and they are great for those surfaces. I've also put them on my iPad 2, the family Air, and my Retina Mini, but again, they just cover the back and don't have to wrap.

My guess is that Zagg, BSE, and the other skin makers are going to cut them so they wrap the metal to where it meets the screen. The problem with that is that the screen and side curve should be flush. The skin has some thickness to it and is actually kind of sharp on the edge. So, you will feel its corner under your fingers and it will peel back.

If I do get a skin for the back, I will probably trim it so that it only covers the back to where it begins to curve. And because of the camera ring, it may actually make the back flatter as the thickness of the skin maybe close to that of the camera protrusion. That's my $.02

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I hear you. My black iPhone 5 came out of the box all scuffed up. Never been so annoyed in my life. In a way I guess I'm lucky I'm on the Oct 1-6 delivery block, because I'll be able to brace myself if I see that others are seeing problems right out of the box. :)

11. zonkie macrumors newbie

My silver/white iPhone 5 had issues with the edge but it was less noticeable than on my black ipad mini. The chamfered edge on that wore away or chunks came off from small drops, even though it was in a case. Not having the bevel on the 6 will help a lot but just make sure your case covers the edges.

12. hamiltonrwatch macrumors regular

hamiltonrwatch

Arguably the 4, in my opinion, was one of Apple's best efforts as far as scratch-resistance. You really had your work cut out for you trying to dent that stainless steel bezel.

That said, I had 5 iPhone 5's before I ended up with one that

1) Worked
    2) Didn't look like someone skipped it across a gravel road

----------

Yep. I'm looking at cases now. I've had them for every Apple product!