scratches and new 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M. Malone, Apr 10, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

What I think Apple must do is make the new iPhone 100% scratch resistant, they did a good job with the screen and the back of the current one, but the chrome part scratches easy.

I would like something that's reasonably scratch resistant so we don't have to hide our iPhones in sleeves and ugly buckles. What do you all think.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, even if Apple could make a 100% scratch-proof/resistant iPhone they couldn't advertise it…
    Someone, somewhere will manage to scratch it and imagine the wailing-fest then? No doubt lawsuits to follow… ;)

Curiously enough though, my iPhone's chrome is fine — the screen has a small scratch and the back? Well… loads of them. :eek:

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

To do so 100% is probably impossible:confused:and if not will make the iPhone uglier:confused:

4. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

when I say 100% scratch resistant, I meant make the iPhone scratch resistant material all over, like the PowerBook or MacBook Pro. I didn't mean bullet proof, but scratch resistant from keys in your pocket etc :D

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Technically you're asking a lot for 100% - but you could coat with a very high scratch resistant coating. E.g. the coating for supermarket check out tills. However, the device is to be touched, and to feel good too and these properties might be affected.

Apple leaves it that it's pretty scratch resistant. If you want more, you go get a cover or case or spray etc and leave the other beautiful iPhones alone. I imagine Ives has a word or two on the subject.

6. achtung! macrumors regular

powerbooks aren't scratch resistant. they are very prone to cracks as well. so... :eek:

7. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

ok, how about material like the iPod mini, just something that doesn't get hairline scratches from putting in and taking out of your pocket.

8. achtung! macrumors regular

the only problem with the powerbooks and macbooks, which use anodized aluminum, is the anodization process. they use anodized paint, for an extra protection, instead of anodize the material itself (which penetrates inside the aluminum) 'cause they use paint, the surface scratches, peels, cracks and even burns (gets brown and yellow)... the hand rest in the laptops' more prone to this.i 've replaced my top case (hand-rest) due to this, it's obvious a defect, 'cause my second top case is getting brown too. my friends got the same issues. for what i've seen, the ipods don't suffer so much with this, maybe because the surface is smaller and less prone to friction, sweat or everything else, or 'cause they've changed something in the production process... i don't know... the aluminum from my point of view, is great, but maybe it doesn't suit the design proposes for the iphone. :)