Scratches/dents in YOUR iPhone?.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustle, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Who here has scratches or dents in their iPhone?.
    I got my iPhone on Nov 9th (UK) and so far its got 3 scratches on the screen, 5 on the back and a few on the corner on the back. The metal surround is also very scratched.

I wish i got a case for it from the start.
    Maybe I'll loose or break it in a few months and claim off my 02 insurance. :eek:

2. sananda macrumors 68020

i scratched mine on the day i got it (about three weeks ago) by dropping it.

3. walnuts macrumors 6502

I got mine in late July. I've got about 7-8 scratches and possibly a dent (too subtle to be sure) on the grey back and the metal border. My screen is flawless. I keep it in my iPod 5th gen case and have dropped it maybe three or four times.

I definitely recommend a case. The back grey surface as well as the metal bordering the front is just too fragile. Essentially every portable apple product requires you to spend extra money on a case because the exterior is not designed to handle normal wear and tear.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

How bad are the scratches on the screen? I know a couple people with iPhones and they don't have any scratches on their screens, even though one of them has a large dent on the back of his. It seems to me that the screens on iPods, cell phones, iPhones, etc are pretty tough.

5. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

I've just got a bunch of scratches on my camera lens, but other than that it's fine.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Mine has a big scratch on the upper right corner of the chrome bezel. I forgot it was on my lap one day when I got out of the car and it fell face down on the asphalt. Luckily it was in its leather case, but it slipped out just a bit and the bezel was the only part to be hit. I was mad at myself a first, but now I don't care. I'm sure it will have a lot more scratches before I finally replace it.

7. studentmac macrumors regular

How did you get it so scratched so quickly? :eek:

After spending so much on a phone, i've made sure mine gets looked after.

8. Eddiestein macrumors member

Same here. No scratches. I just spent $400 on a phone - I'm damn well going to take good care of it.

BTW, I don't have a case. The phone looks better without one.

9. 103734 Guest

what the hell, I had mine from day one (I think it was june 30th or something) and I dont use a case, and I just throw it in my pocket (sometimes with other things like keys and pens) and I have no dents or scratches at all!

What the heck are you guys doing to your iPhones~:confused:

10. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Had mine a month now. still in perfect condition.

Of course I look after my things... especially anything that costs more than $50 ;)

1G iPod Nano (black) - almost mint condition (a couple of scratches on the chrome back - stupid design idea that - glad they went a different route with the iPhone)

1 year old MacBook - not a scratch, scuff or stain in sight. A little wear on the tackpad and keys.

iPhone - still fine.

If people can't look after their stuff, then they don't deserve it :p

11. gotzero macrumors 68040

I ran into a file cabinet at work with my first iphone (phone was in pocket, took the blow thank goodness). There was a big dent at the bottom of the aluminum.

The phone started acting funky after that, took it in, Apple could not find a problem, told me it is fine. Shortly thereafter, it died. They billed me $200 for a new one even after telling me it was "fine" like a week before.

When I got the second one, I got a case for it, but that did not last long. The case makes the iphone as big as the Blackberry that I replaced with the iphone (one of the main reasons was the iphone's smaller size). I had never had a case for a phone in my life, and just b/c it is made by apple and the cost is not subsidized, I am not going to start now.

It is a phone, it goes everywhere I do, and that means it has some tough days... At the rate the first one died, I figure this second one will last a year. By then, I will probably want something new that is out anyway, either from blackberry or apple.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I guess im one of the special ones. I've had my iPhone since June 29 and it doesn't have a single scratch on it. (Including the metal trim)

and i've dropped it twice, and it's been held by over 100 people. (yeah i made a list in notes of people that have used my phone and they need to sign their name :))

13. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Ill never get a case for mine. They just bulk the phone, there's just no point.

The phone is there to be used everyday as your only phone. Not kept away and only brought out for special occassions. Mines been everywhere with me, out on the beer, across the world and I always just stick it in my pocket.

Its a well made and sturdy phone in my opinion. No need to overly fuss about it and worry about a little scratch or mark here and there.

Use it and enjoy it and don't waste your time worrying!

14. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

^^^ hear hear. Had mine for six weeks and I dropped it on a tiled floor the other day. Result one small dent by the headphone jack and a small scratch on the corner by the power button.
    But I'm still going naked as this phone is meant I be used. If I'd have dropped any of my other phones from that height onto tiles they would have disintegrated. Imo a very sturdy well-made phone.

15. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Why would spend a few dollars on a case to cover a phone that costs hundreds anyway??

if you had a Ferrari F430 would you spend a few hundred on a cover for the whole car to "protect it"??

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I bought a Marware rubber case for mine. I absolutely hated it. Now running with just a screen protector film on.

The chrome bezel is prone to scratching. Just the rubbing around in my pocket has caused that (since Nov 9th). There is nothing else in the pocket.

However, it is my only phone and it goes everywhere with me. Of course it'll show wear and tear. In a way I kinda like that.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There is an all clear plastic case that is really cool looking.

18. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It's still more bulk though. I want my iPhone closer to Touch width, not Blackberry width.

Dunno different people have different tastes with phones....even more personal than laptops.

19. svndmvn Guest

scratch test..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=czCCavcnNd8
    I saw this video some time ago, I found it amazing that the screen was so resistant and I am, I guess, a little surprised some of you have these problems with it, does anyone want to share more information about how the iPhone got the scratches? I'm just curious, waiting for it to be available in Italy, don't want a jailbroken version..
    Cheerz

20. sublicon macrumors member

Christ, this post has just motivated me to go buy an OtterBox.

21. gotzero macrumors 68040

Thank you! I constantly feel like I am alone in this opinion! People I know act like I am insane when I mention that the small size is important to me. I hate my work phone with its big holster, and want my personal phone to be able to hide!

22. skeen macrumors 6502

My iPhone is in great condition, EXCEPT for the silver bezel which seems to damage very, very easily. I think just setting it down gently on some concrete caused one of the buffs.

23. sublicon macrumors member

24. bredfan macrumors newbie

I'd have to disagree a bit with your statement about it not being designed to handle normal wear and tear.

Sure, astheically, it could use some help. However, as far as functionality is concerned, the Iphone can take quite a beating before it will stop working.

It's still just a phone. Albeit an expensive one. As much as I'd love to keep mine in pristine condition, I'm resigned to the fact that short of not using it, it's just not going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I still wish it was more "durable" cosmetically. That being said, I am more than comfortable believeing that if I do happen to drop or mishandle the phone in any way, it will continue to work as designed. Which is really why i got one in the first place.

25. studentmac macrumors regular

Ive had mine since Nov9, for the first few weeks it just stayed naked in my pocket (nothing else in pocket), and now I carry it around in an iPod sock. That way it gets great protection, but doesnt lose its looks.