Scratches from iPad smart cover hinge

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by timsaxman, Apr 6, 2014.

1. timsaxman macrumors member

Hi. My girlfriend recently discovered scratches on her iPad (4th gen 32 GB) where the smart cover hinge is located (see images). [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As the images show the damage is pretty bad too.

I've heard of some people having the same problem and I imagine that is why they changed the design of the new smart cover hinge. Most people got it replaced but the problem is that the 4th gen 32 GB isn't available anymore. If they decide to exchange it, will she get a 4th gen but 16 GB then, or will she get an 32 gb iPad Air? She bought 32 GB because she felt a need for that space so getting replaced with 16 GB doesn't seem okey, right?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Call Apple support, they probably still have the 32GB for an exchange. You might want to consider using another cover to avoid that same problem. That's why I never used those covers when I read they were scratching the iPad's.

3. timsaxman thread starter macrumors member

She called then bit they said that "cosmetic damages" aren't covered by warranty, bit the problem is that it's their own cover that has damaged it. Anyone has any experience of this problem with the cover?

4. LilCat macrumors newbie

It looks like what my smartcover did to my iPad 2. Mine wasn't scratched - it was just discoloration and came off when I wiped it off (I used a Clorox wipe). I had the same black marks on my cover as she does but never figured out how to get those off.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I don't know if it's worth the hassle to you but you could try escalating the issue and submitting the photos in you OP.

6. timsaxman thread starter macrumors member

Where would I do that then? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area but I'm kind of new to Apple products and haven't had any problems this far, which is a good thing, but from what I've heard they are known for helping in these situations.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

Call Apple and ask to speak to a manager. Explain your problem and offer to submit your photos. They may do an exception. If they do, don't use that cover anymore. I was interested in that same cover when they first came out. Then I read about the same problem you are having and I passed.

Things worth mentioning. Obviously be nice on the phone and explain this is your first Apple product and it got messed up with the official cover.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I agree with the post above. Since the cover is not third party but made by Apple I think you have a good chance of getting the iPad replaced--in fact I know that people have had their iPads replaced due to cosmetic damage done by these covers.

However, you have to speak with someone who is a level or two above the standard rep you get when you first talk to someone on the phone. Be patient as you rise through the hierarchy and be prepared for a long call.

9. timsaxman thread starter macrumors member

I chatted and then called (again) and got to speak with a "higher ranked" person. He would take the errand and discuss and come back tomorrow. I've sent him the pictures which are now connected to the errand. He too told me that cosmetic damages aren't accounted for in the warranty but I didn't give up and continued to tell him that it's THEIR cover that has scratched THEIR iPad, so hopefully he'll come back with a good solution tomorrow, but he didn't seem like this will be solved...

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Despite the frustration so far, its a good sign that this person is taking this matter to someone who has the ability to make a judgment call. If they don't return a favorable answer, you might ask who this person was that made the decision and ask for their reasoning. If they repeat the warranty policy, you repeat the fact that an Apple cover caused the damage.

It really depends upon how much trouble you want to go through over this. They can and do make exceptions to their policies and if often boils down to the personality and mood of the person making the call.

11. timsaxman thread starter macrumors member

Okey. I'll have that in mind when he calls tomorrow. I'm ready to go termo-nuclear on this ;) Mostly since I have a friend who got a new iPad AND cover for the same reason (which I've told them) and also because the second-hand value is greatly decreased in this condition.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Good point that you might want to bring up in the call. Good luck with getting this resolved, all my iPads with the older smart covers were also scratched up, so I understand your frustration.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

Good points and don't forget to mention that. Be polite but persistent. :)

14. timsaxman thread starter macrumors member

He called back today. He had talked to a colleague and his "best solution" was to send it further to their engineers. So no concrete progress but hopefully the engineers know that this is a relatively common problem and a solution. I don't care if they take it to exchange the whole chassi (the only thing is that she'll be without iPad for some time...) or if she get a new one. As long as it disappears because it isn't looking pretty now.

15. timsaxman thread starter macrumors member

Today we got a final answer, and it was nothing. He said that the engineer's told him that som "unknown material" must have come in between the hinge and the iPad causing the scratches. So they didn't offer to repair or replace anything... :(

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, technically, they are right. That's how I would describe what happened with my Smart Cover and iPad -- something stuck to the metal on the Smart Cover hinge, which then scratched the iPad. However, it was the design of that hinge that made it easy for foreign objects to stick to it, as can be proven by the new Smart Cover, with the covered hinges that do not attract those little particles.

17. timsaxman thread starter macrumors member

I agree with that this is the cause of the new design of the hinge for the Air and Mini Smart Covers. That's why I was hoping that they were in a good mood and would be like: "Yeah we'll exchange it for a iPad Air and Smart Cover." :p

18. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Good that you got rejected. With that attitude, if I was that person reviewing your issue, I'd also turn you down.

19. timsaxman thread starter macrumors member

Lol, one can always dream. Of course the most important thing was to get either the iPad or only the chassi and the smart cover replaced if in fact she would decide to sell it sometime. As it looks now, no one is going to want to pay a decent price for it.

20. Solange82200 macrumors regular

This is so true. I'll never forget several years ago someone somehow made hundreds of dollars in charges to my debit card. I called and drove to the bank right away to fill out the necessary paperwork and change my card, called the company they placed the order with (toys r us) and tried to cancel the order, but was told I couldn't since I didnt know the shipping address (later i found out the rep was wrong, they should have cancelled it as it was MY damn debit card and billing info). Anyway, a week later, my bank gets back to me that they wont refund the charges, because whoever did it knew my billing info, which means... What? I don't really know. I am a single mom on a budget and I was inconsolable. I kept calling and escalating, never getting anywhere. Finally I called again, got a lady without even escalating, and ten minutes later I had my money back in my account. It was insane, and totally proved that your experience in many cases can depend on who you get on the other end of that phone.

21. timsaxman thread starter macrumors member

Yes, this is usually the case when it comes to service. Though it feels bad to call and ask someone else when they can see what I've previously talked about by looking at the serial number. So there they can see that the errand is closed and that they came to a "solution".

22. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

Have... You tried rubbing alcohol on the marks, anodised aluminium is more commonly harder than other everyday things it could have come in contact with, maybe even try a very very fine sand paper 3000 grit possibly, very gently

23. Ren1818 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue with my iPad 12.9. They're sending a shipping box to me so that's nice. We'll see how the techs see the situation. I'm hoping they replace or repair the backing of my iPad. It does seem like a design flaw in terms of these new 2 piece smart case and covers. I have both the Smart Cover and silicone casing and I would think the whole idea behind them being 2 pieces is so that you can remove the cover when necessary. But by doing so it picks up any little debri and rubs against the side of your iPad.