Scratches inside new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bonobos, Sep 24, 2009.

1. bonobos macrumors newbie

Do any of you with mac pro's notice any scratches on the drive sleds when adding / removing / changing hard drives?

Just bought a new 2009 Quad, and I just looked at the sleds and they are scratched up on top where they make contact with the chassis. Also, seems my chassis is scratched at the same place where they contact the sleds.

Is this inevitable? or can something be done to prevent this? A little OCD I know, but I find it odd apple would design these things with scratching being inevitable when one changes hard drives.

If it is inevitable, is no way to prevent the scuffing?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's metal to metal contact, so there will be scratching. As it's internal, it's a distant afterthought. But you could use some tape, such as electrical tape on the sled, and see if that improves things without being too difficult to install the sled once it's applied.

And you're being too OCD over this one. :eek: :D :p

3. bonobos thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried some tape, didn't work so hot. Guess I should be okay with the scratches as long as its normal and inevitable. It is inevitable, right? I thought my mac pro was defective :(

Maybe a bit overly OCD, but i cannot fathom how apple markets its computers on their shinyness only to have such a clumbsy drive install, where one cannot help but scuff up the interior sleds.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

When metal rubs metal, then YES, scratches are inevitable. Ultimately, you can't see them anyway, as the side panel should be installed. But most importantly, it does NOT affect the performance of the system. ;)

It's cheap, and it works. It really is that simple. So stop obsessing over it. :rolleyes: :p

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you even see the sledges when you have the computer on? If not, why do you care so much?

If it really bothers you, use Teflon.

6. IronFixXxeR macrumors member

IronFixXxeR

This thread made me lol.

Don't let it bother you! Do you take your drives out on a regular basis? Probably not. Now if there were scratches on the OUTSIDE... then I would be concerned.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Understatement of the year!

Look at any hinge in your house, open up your car engine and look at the moving parts, and don't get me started on scissor blades. Metal against metal, even with lubrication will eventually scratch. If the drive chassis were not tight you'd probably obsess about drive vibration noise.

1) Close up the case
    2) Step away from the computer
    3) Seek the help of a licensed mental help professional

8. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

This reminds me of something else I've always wondered about...why do GPU makers like ATI and NVIDIA make their cards sleek and shiny-looking with brilliant red or green patterns? The card is going to go hidden inside a computer case buried in cables, you're rarely going to see it.

9. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Have you ever looked at a typical door frame? And thats in plain sight. It is impossible to see the scratches on the case or on the sleds when they are installed. So what the heck is the big deal? Do you like to pull on out and lay it on your desk all day for some reason?

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Those are aimed at gamers though, and they might like to show off the internals via a polycarbonate/plexiglass window in the side panel. There's even entire cases made out of it, and there's an entire market for LED's & what-not aimed at appearance.

It's not mainstream though, and for most systems, it doesn't matter, as it will be hidden. :)

11. pprior macrumors 65816

Dude!

Whatever you do, do not look inside your car's hood or under your bed. You will go screaming into the night.

12. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

This is like being upset that there is poop inside your colon. much to do about nothing ...

13. bonobos thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so the consensus is that I am being nuts:(

I guess it is a stupid thing to get worked up over. I was just wondering if everybody elses is the same.

Thanks for the reality check guys:)