Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
As the title suggests, if anyone is using this combination, then please let us know if and to what extent the case itself results in scratches and/or micro-abrasions on the Jet Black finish. I plan on using this combination, so hoping to hear some of your experiences (pictures would be great). Thanks in advance! :)

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015
You got the wrong finish if you are worried about microabrasians left by the case...

uni

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
Belfast, UK
I got the leather case but was quite worried about how rough the inside looked. I use a case just for holidays or gigs. As I'm off to Orlando this weekend I needed a new case for new phone. I never tested it on the 7 and got a silicone one too. Now thinking I'll just send the leather one back.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
You got the wrong finish if you are worried about microabrasians left by the case...

I'm fully aware it's going to happen - just want to establish the extent to which it will happen. ;)
[doublepost=1474135375][/doublepost]
The jet black isn't as fragile as everyone makes it out to be. Using the silicone case which has the same liner as the leather case and it's fine so far. Perfect mirror finish

Thanks - that's good to hear!

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
I'm fully aware it's going to happen - just want to establish the extent to which it will happen. ;)
[doublepost=1474135375][/doublepost]

Thanks - that's good to hear!

The best way to describe it in the 24hrs I've had it is, I'm not so worried it's going to get scratched by everything and anything, it's that if it does get scratched, it'll show quite prominently.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
LOL people leaving their jet black iphones in cases to never admire them ever cause they'll scratch...this is a joke. Apple made something so beautiful not built to last.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
As the title suggests, if anyone is using this combination, then please let us know if and to what extent the case itself results in scratches and/or micro-abrasions on the Jet Black finish. I plan on using this combination, so hoping to hear some of your experiences (pictures would be great). Thanks in advance! :)
Have not had any issues with mine. But as another poster stated, it does defeat the purpose of getting this model. I plan on returning the case and just using a clear skin on the back.
[doublepost=1474223177][/doublepost]
Have not had any issues with mine. But as another poster stated, it does defeat the purpose of getting this model. I plan on returning the case and just using a clear skin on the back.
Although Midnight Blue with Jet Black does look pretty sweat!

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I doubt it could be anywhere near how bad the iPhone 4 and the Apple Bumper case did.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
I'm sure the jet black could get scratches around the camera cutout with some cases. Dirt/dust accumulates there. Also around where the charging port is, although that's not a big deal. Having a camera cutout ring-like scratch tho would look horrible lol

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
People are failing to understand what a micro abrasion is. Its not a massive visible scratch that can be seen from space, its a light, barely noticeable scratch that's essentially invisible unless you shine a light on it. Check a year old iPhone screen and you'll see what I mean.

Sure, it'll obtain these easier, but you'll hardly notice them in day to day use. Think of the jet black as a fine leather, and the micro abrasions are its patina.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
[doublepost=1474223177][/doublepost]
Although Midnight Blue with Jet Black does look pretty sweat!

Went with midnight blue the last time around, so looking to change things up a bit. Almost certain I'm getting the storm gray - looks amazing.

I doubt it could be anywhere near how bad the iPhone 4 and the Apple Bumper case did.

Agreed - the leather cases, though, are way better, and in their own league.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
People are failing to understand what a micro abrasion is. Its not a massive visible scratch that can be seen from space, its a light, barely noticeable scratch that's essentially invisible unless you shine a light on it. Check a year old iPhone screen and you'll see what I mean.

Sure, it'll obtain these easier, but you'll hardly notice them in day to day use. Think of the jet black as a fine leather, and the micro abrasions are its patina.

The "micro abrasions" I've seen on a jet black were clearly visible. Like grossly visible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.