Scratches/micro-abrasions using Jet Black + Apple Leather Case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sammy2066, Sep 17, 2016.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

As the title suggests, if anyone is using this combination, then please let us know if and to what extent the case itself results in scratches and/or micro-abrasions on the Jet Black finish. I plan on using this combination, so hoping to hear some of your experiences (pictures would be great). Thanks in advance! :)

2. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

You got the wrong finish if you are worried about microabrasians left by the case...

3. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I'll let you know in a year when I take the case off :p I'm certainly not putting it on and off to check every day.

4. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

The jet black isn't as fragile as everyone makes it out to be. Using the silicone case which has the same liner as the leather case and it's fine so far. Perfect mirror finish

5. uni macrumors newbie

uni

I got the leather case but was quite worried about how rough the inside looked. I use a case just for holidays or gigs. As I'm off to Orlando this weekend I needed a new case for new phone. I never tested it on the 7 and got a silicone one too. Now thinking I'll just send the leather one back.

6. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm fully aware it's going to happen - just want to establish the extent to which it will happen. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    Thanks - that's good to hear!

7. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

The best way to describe it in the 24hrs I've had it is, I'm not so worried it's going to get scratched by everything and anything, it's that if it does get scratched, it'll show quite prominently.

8. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

LOL people leaving their jet black iphones in cases to never admire them ever cause they'll scratch...this is a joke. Apple made something so beautiful not built to last.

9. bizack macrumors 6502

Have not had any issues with mine. But as another poster stated, it does defeat the purpose of getting this model. I plan on returning the case and just using a clear skin on the back.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2016 ---
    Although Midnight Blue with Jet Black does look pretty sweat!

10. sekazi macrumors 6502

I doubt it could be anywhere near how bad the iPhone 4 and the Apple Bumper case did.

11. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I'm sure the jet black could get scratches around the camera cutout with some cases. Dirt/dust accumulates there. Also around where the charging port is, although that's not a big deal. Having a camera cutout ring-like scratch tho would look horrible lol

12. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

People are failing to understand what a micro abrasion is. Its not a massive visible scratch that can be seen from space, its a light, barely noticeable scratch that's essentially invisible unless you shine a light on it. Check a year old iPhone screen and you'll see what I mean.

Sure, it'll obtain these easier, but you'll hardly notice them in day to day use. Think of the jet black as a fine leather, and the micro abrasions are its patina.

13. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Went with midnight blue the last time around, so looking to change things up a bit. Almost certain I'm getting the storm gray - looks amazing.

Agreed - the leather cases, though, are way better, and in their own league.

14. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

The "micro abrasions" I've seen on a jet black were clearly visible. Like grossly visible.

15. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

So while I set out to defend the jet black, and while the demo device we've had in work is holding up quite well despite being manhandled profusely, this video from cnet deserves consideration:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/videos/share/jet-black-iphone-7-scratch-test