Scratches on bumper sides

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by glen e, Jul 2, 2010.

1. glen e macrumors 68030

Big bumper supporter here - love the look and quality.

But.....

I have had my black bumper about a week now and it has done easy, normal duty for me. It goes from my pocket, to my office desk for a few calls a day, and back home to the dock after work. Never put in the same pocket as keys, etc. Developing fine scratches almost every day on the glossy section on the each side. Easy to take out with a bit of toothpaste and microfiber towel, auto cleaner wax also works. But daily scratches, nonetheless.

Anyone else? The glossy part is not showing to be as durable as I would have hoped. It is scratching faster than other plastic cases I have had on every other gen iPhone.

What's next, a protective film for the bumper sides? OMG!! (LOL)

2. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I've only had mine on for less than 24 hours....and under similar conditions....it is also showing lots of fine scratches.

My thing is though....I would rather have small scratches on a $29 Bumper than my $299 iPhone.

Somewhat funny related story....my iP4 shipped to work yesterday. I had gotten my black Bumper a few days before. When I got home, I set my phone on the kitchen counter next to my wife's 3G. She picked it up and said "I thought the sides were metal"? She actually thought the Bumper Case was the phone. I think Apple should take that as a compliment. It looks really good on the phone....like it belongs on it.

Steve

3. herdinoh macrumors regular

You are really easy to please as a customer. For god's sake, if you buy a 29 dollar case for your phone, should you expect it be durable and scratches free? At least it should last couple months with the good shape under the normal use.

I know a lot of fanboys don't want to admit that THE bumper is nothing but a cheap rubber band.

4. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

no fanboy here, just a business guy that likes the phone - but the bumper is more than just a rubber band with it's metal buttons and precision fit. The price point is a bit high, why? - because they can.....

non apple brainwashed focus groups would peg the price at 19.95, I'll bet.

But it should not scratch this early with the light use I give it...for sure...

5. joneill55 macrumors 6502

What's next?? Maybe psychotherapy for some iPhone owners :)

If you want the phone and case to look pristine, put them back in the packages and look at them for the next 2 years. I do not understand this OCD thing with some iPhone owners. It's a phone, a communication tool. It's going to show use if you use it. Simple as that. Deal with it Dude.

6. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

This erks me so much. The bumper is NOT just an expensive rubber band. One, it has more cushion that any rubber band I've seen except those "I <3 Boobies" ones. Secondly, it covers the phone by covering the sides, not just resting ontop of them. Hence, if you drop it flat onto another flat surface, neither screens will be hit nor damaged and if you drop it on the side, the bumper will take that impact, and then it'll just fall over - unharmed. Also, only the parts that are visible by looking straight down at the iPhone are rubber. The rest is a hard plastic that has a lossy finish.

If you can't understand this design concept, I don't know what to tell you.

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i can attest to the scratches. I've had it less than 24hrs and I'm returning it tonight and it already has a few hairline scratches. All I've done was holster it and unholster it out of the pocket a dozen or so times.

To be fair my blk CandyShell is scuffed up already and its been about 3 days so... its the color for one and yeah its cheap material coating it but hey what do you expect.

I like the CandyShell a lot more but when the colored bumpers come out I think I may pick up an Orange and just have it on hand and use it from time to time. I have a co-worker who dropped his i4 on the pavement while running into work (he was late) and his i4 fell out of his pocket I guess and it went tumbling onto the parking lot. He had a bumper installed. His glass now has a tiny nick on the back (thank god for him) near the center.

8. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

It's plastic people. It's going to scratch. It's there to take the scratches so your phone doesn't. (Which i don't think the sides will scratch anyway, unless you take a nail to it or something.)

This thread reminds me of the people who are so surprised when their iPhone breaks when it falls to the ground.

9. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

See the glass half empty much? :cool:

Actually no, I don't expect the $29 case to be "scratch free"....but I expect it to help my phone remain that way....which I believe it will do just fine....which TO ME....seems like a good investment. Do I think the Bumper is over priced? Sure....seems like something that probably cost them about $3 to make...so it should sell for something significantly less than $29. But....Apple isn't in the business to sell cases...they are in the business to make money. If you can't afford the $29 or don't want to spend it....then don't...but don't go around whining on the internets about the fact that to YOU it is expensive.

No Fanboy....just a realist. I look at everything from a big picture perspective.....unlike what seems like a large percent of the folks on our forum here.

My dad always says..."In a hundred years....who's gonna give a ****"?

Steve

10. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

most of you are missing the point. i could care less about the scratches...but the bumper does not hold up as well as other cases in the past or even apple products I have owned before. My only point. This is not about being OCD or praying to it like an altar. It simply scratches faster than others. Deal with it "DUDE"...

11. tokiidokii macrumors regular

i don't think it's 'scratching faster than other cases...'

i think it has more to do with the glossy finish/coating. hairline scratches will always be more apparent on glossy finish. if they used a matte finish, i bet you wouldn't be complaining about how it's 'scratching faster than other cases' since it won't be as apparent.

you know what they say... 'ignorance is bliss' :)

12. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

this reminds me of why we must "understand" the signal loss

OK...it's glossy and it's scratching - on that we agree - But I see no more gloss on this than a contour case or many of the other glossy cases I have...the bottom line is I would put any of them in my pocket with my keys - the bumper I won't.

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

You bought a case to protect the phone. Now you want to protect the case? Maybe you should have the entire thing dipped in bronze, hermetically sealed, and placed in a steel box, welded shut. Oh and you will probably need a silicone coating to prevent scratching of the steel.

Use your phone already and stop obsessing.

14. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

15. robby818 macrumors 6502a

This business of protecting the iphone from scratches is getting out of hand. I thought OP was complaining about scratches on the phone itself from the case, but scratches on the case....come on.

The thing I do not like about the shiny edge on the bumper is that it makes it a bit slippery to hold. Apple should have just stuck with the rubber all the way around for better grip.

16. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

that's what the bumper is for aint it? no issue with mine getting scratched even more so since it was free

17. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I hate scratches as much as the next guy but in natural sunlight almost everything has scratches or imperfections. My general rule is can I see scratches indoors at 3-4 inches. None are visible on my bumper but they are definitely easily visible in sunlight.

Just my opinion.