Scratches on Computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by julienmh, Jun 3, 2013.

1. julienmh macrumors newbie

Hello
    I took my 11" MBA out of my bag today and was upset to find a very large scratch on my computer. I was wondering if anyone new what kind of paint would best cover this up and look nice. Thanks.

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I believe it's anodized, so I don't think you'll be able to paint that in a way that will look very good.

I would recommend one of the sticker-covers - they are inexpensive, add almost no weight, will cover up existing scratches, and prevent new ones.

3. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Its anodized....so put it in the oven at max heat and it should fix itself.:D

4. Psychj0e macrumors regular

Buy some silver paint, and a fine paint brush.

Dip the brush in the paint.

Wipe the brush on a piece of paper until all the paint is off.

The very lightly, brush over scratch.

Repeat until happy. :)

For more info, google dry brushing.

*I once did this to a macbook alu I listed on ebay as immaculate and the buyer didn't notice :D

5. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

i wouldn't paint the computer… just get a speck case, or if you can afford it, take in into the apple store and get it repaired.

6. Psychj0e macrumors regular

A repair? Dude, just dry brush it with some acrylic paint, don't pay a bunch of money for a repair, when it could easily scratch again.

Just faintly dry brush it, if you don't like it then you can clean it off and all you'll have wasted is a few dollars.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Do you have any before and after pictures by chance?

I tried googling around, but I couldn't find anything that suggested this was a method of filling scratches. All I found were descriptions of how different drybrushing is aesthetically and discussions of famous painters who used this technique in their artwork. Do you have a guide or favorite website that explains it?

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Buy a Speck hard case and be happy! Nobody is perfect at taking care of MBA/MBP on the go. :apple:

9. Psychj0e macrumors regular

Oh, my scratches were the light kind, kinda like as if someone had drawn on it with a pencil. It worked pretty well that way, but if you've got deep scratches then I doubt you can do anything to make it less noticeable.

I don't know where, maybe on here somewhere, but I do remember somebody saying if the scratch on a macbook/air etc, is deep enough, then you'll get rust in scratch.