Scratches on Computer

julienmh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Hello
I took my 11" MBA out of my bag today and was upset to find a very large scratch on my computer. I was wondering if anyone new what kind of paint would best cover this up and look nice. Thanks.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I believe it's anodized, so I don't think you'll be able to paint that in a way that will look very good.

I would recommend one of the sticker-covers - they are inexpensive, add almost no weight, will cover up existing scratches, and prevent new ones.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Buy some silver paint, and a fine paint brush.

Dip the brush in the paint.

Wipe the brush on a piece of paper until all the paint is off.

The very lightly, brush over scratch.

Repeat until happy. :)

For more info, google dry brushing.

*I once did this to a macbook alu I listed on ebay as immaculate and the buyer didn't notice :D

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
i wouldn't paint the computer… just get a speck case, or if you can afford it, take in into the apple store and get it repaired.
A repair? Dude, just dry brush it with some acrylic paint, don't pay a bunch of money for a repair, when it could easily scratch again.

Just faintly dry brush it, if you don't like it then you can clean it off and all you'll have wasted is a few dollars.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
Buy some silver paint, and a fine paint brush.

Dip the brush in the paint.

Wipe the brush on a piece of paper until all the paint is off.

The very lightly, brush over scratch.

Repeat until happy. :)

For more info, google dry brushing.

*I once did this to a macbook alu I listed on ebay as immaculate and the buyer didn't notice :D
Do you have any before and after pictures by chance?

I tried googling around, but I couldn't find anything that suggested this was a method of filling scratches. All I found were descriptions of how different drybrushing is aesthetically and discussions of famous painters who used this technique in their artwork. Do you have a guide or favorite website that explains it?

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Do you have any before and after pictures by chance?

I tried googling around, but I couldn't find anything that suggested this was a method of filling scratches. All I found were descriptions of how different drybrushing is aesthetically and discussions of famous painters who used this technique in their artwork. Do you have a guide or favorite website that explains it?
Oh, my scratches were the light kind, kinda like as if someone had drawn on it with a pencil. It worked pretty well that way, but if you've got deep scratches then I doubt you can do anything to make it less noticeable.

I don't know where, maybe on here somewhere, but I do remember somebody saying if the scratch on a macbook/air etc, is deep enough, then you'll get rust in scratch.