Scratches on edges of MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gabriellanata, Oct 20, 2009.

1. gabriellanata macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro which I take very good care of. During the past month I've noticed that there are small scratches appearing in the aluminum at the edge of the right palm rest. I don't know how they happened, first I thought they were caused by my watch, but my watch is on my left hand (and I even take it off when using the computer)... Nobody uses this computer other than me and I always close the lid every single time I leave it.

Is this normal? it is something I should go complain about?

Attached Files:

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Are they scratches or are they black paint or residue from where something black (hard case?) has been rubbing against the metal?

3. gabriellanata thread starter macrumors newbie

they are scratches, not black paint. You can feel the little holes if you pass your finger over it. I don't use a hard case, only a soft sleeve which fits in a larger bag to carry it. I even protect it with a towel when I leave it for some hours alone

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

it looks like the anodize came off on the nicks.

5. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Have you checked to see if there is any dirt/grit in your sleeve? Or something in the carry case which may have caused it?

Its unusual thats it only one side, which suggests it more than likely something thats been rubbing against that area, rather than a general defect.

6. gabriellanata thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, my sleeve is perfectly clean and I never put anything inside it other than the laptop. I might add that this has been progressive and they didn't appear all at once. At first there were only two marks, then they doubled and now there are like 20 and many smaller ones.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I have one of these scratches. Just one... doesn't bother me though.

8. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Congratulations you have had a MBP for over a year and have been using it, hence the wear and tear. Aren't computers supposed to be used or are they pieces of manufactured art? Get over your OCD already. :rolleyes:

9. gabriellanata thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, I do admit I might have a little OCD. But still, I was just asking if this is normal or not? because I really don't think clothing can wear aluminum like that... I was thinking of taking it to an apple store to see what they say but there are no apple stores in my country :(. So if it is not normal at all and shouldn't happen I may do the effort to take it with me the next time I go abroad.

10. analytical44 macrumors regular

I completely understand your concern, that shouldn't just happen from regular use and it's a blemish on the machine. I'm starting to see what looks like to be the beginning of a similar problem all along the front edge of my mbp. Might just be a design flaw. Either way, Apple in all likelihood won't do anything for you as they will probably view it as user negligence/damage. I suppose it's worth a shot if you come across one in your travels; just don't get your hopes up.

11. analytical44 macrumors regular

:rolleyes: Get over yourself or take your grumpy ass back to bed.