Scratches on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hans3185, Aug 14, 2008.

1. hans3185 macrumors member

What do you guys use to keep your Macbooks relatively scratch free?

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

A soft neoprene case, not allowing any pens, etc. to ride with in/near it, and setting it down gently. No matter what, you'll eventually get scratches, but that's the best thing I can think of.

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I leave it in the box. I take it out in an air filtered controled room with a dust suit. When I'm done I put it back in the box.

No really, scratches are going to happen, but to avoid the bigger ones my wife uses a Speck case. I'm thinking of using invisible shield but for now the speck is doing it just right.

There are lots of options out there, each with pros and cons. Just research a bit to see what fits your style.

4. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

Just be mindful of how you treat it. I use a Neoprene case for traveling & transport. Don't set anything on top of it. Be careful when you wipe it... my boyfriend went to wipe the top of his MB and I guess some particle of something or other was between the cloth and the computer... needless to say he dragged it around quite a bit and was left with QUITE the design!

5. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

It's impossible to stay scratch free - unless you put it in a case or in some invisible shield or something.

I mean, when you wipe the thing with a cloth it scratches! Either you get a skin for it or you give up on scratch-free

6. hans3185 thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way to remove small scratches on it? I heard about Brasso, but Im not so sure...

7. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Not on a MB. Maybe an MBP [because it's Alu]. MB is Plastic [Polycarb, whatever], and using Brasso will make more scratches...

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

take a look at either mr clean magic eraser or applesauce polish

9. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

i use a hard case or shell if you will. i have one from incase that is "soft to the touch" and keeps it scratch free. the case gets scratched, but the computer doesnt.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

i keep mine the way apple intended, NAKED. yea thats right, it's sitting on top of a AirPort Express (802.11g) box as a stand.

11. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Clear Plastic Protection

A guy I know, who owns a MBP, bought some plastic "decal" sheets especially cut for the MBP. He says it is the same material used on the leading edge of helicopter rotor blades. He saw them in South Korea and found them on the net upon his return to the states.

Personally, I use a speck case. Works great for my MBP.

12. hans3185 thread starter macrumors member

Just tried the magic eraser...no dice.

13. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I left mine in the Apple Store, still in the box, in the stock room in the back :D

Seriously, scratches are going to happen. Just enjoy using it and don't worry about it!

14. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I've never put mine in a case of any kind and no scratches so far. If they happen eventually though, I wouldn't mind.

15. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

definitely DO NOT use the magic erasers on the shiny exterior (or screen) of a MacBook. They are abrasive and may remove the scratches, but will seriously dull the shine. The magic erasers are for the keyboard/trackpad/wrist area and screen bezel.

A few more months with your MacBook and you'll care a lot less about scratches.

16. Built macrumors 68020

+1

17. shanehar macrumors newbie

18. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you're talking about the white MacBooks, you could try Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish. It's designed for automotive use but I don't see any reason you couldn't use it on the polycarbonite shell of a MacBook. To be on the safe side I'd try it on an inconspicuous area like the bottom first to make sure that it didn't make things worse. You can find it in the automotive department of many department stores as well as most automotive stores.

If you're talking about the aluminum unibody MacBooks that's a completely different conundrum. Since the aluminum unibody is anodized to prevent it from tarnishing the only way I imagine to eliminate scratches would either to re-anodize the area (if that's even possible) or remove the anodizing to make the finish consistent resulting in a finish that would tarnish. Probably best to just get a shell or a skin to cover it up.