Scratches on the back of iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by derekbain76, Jul 6, 2010.

1. derekbain76 macrumors newbie

I have a couple of light scratches on the back of my iPhone 4. I babied my iPhone but I have now realised the scratches are from my wedding ring when I hold it. I am now using a case but does anyone have any ideas if it is possible to remove scratches from the glass on the back? I have heard toothpaste might do the trick. The scratches are very light and I cannot feel them with my finger nail. Does the back glass have a special coating or anything that could be ruined?

2. wesbar macrumors member

For the love of God, DO NOT USE TOOTHEPASTE. Although it is only a mild abrasive, it will remove the coating from the glass leaving you with a nice round circle on your phone. I tried this with a HTC Desire a few weeks ago and it left a huge swirly circle where it removed the coating (not oloephobic on the Desire but similar). The screen looked 10x worse than with the scratch and I had to sell it in the end cos it was bugging the hell out of me. :)

3. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Yes, buffing it with sandpaper will work. haha. Seriously, there is no abolute cure for scratches. I wouldn't even attempt to apply any type of chemical compound to it since the back is supposed to be oleophobic as well. It may just make it worse. I would suggest a good front and back protector like SGP, Zagg, etc...

4. derekbain76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't really like the idea of coating my iphone in sticky toothpaste! The sratch really bugs me but it can only been seen at a certain angle in direct light so I will probably just leave it. I am really fussy about scratches and things like that and I seem to get scratches after a few days no matter how much I look afer things.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Will you be using any type of case for the phone? When I first got my 3G, I wasn't planning on using a case but 1 day in, I dropped it in the parking lot. :( Used a case to hide the scratches and ended up liking it more due to the grippiness. I'm using an incipio feather case now, it's like I don't even have a case at all. It's really sleek.

6. derekbain76 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am now using a Griffin Reveal. Decent case but when using the flash on the camera with the case on it sort of smudges the flash. I had the incipio feather for my 3G too and it was a great case. I like the Griffin as I don't get any signal drop when holding my phone in my left hand (I always use my left hand to hold it) but the clear plastic back scratches exceptionally easily. It looks like I have run sandpaper over it! But at least it only the case and not the glass back of my iphone. Think I will get some protective film covers and the Apple Bumper.