Scratches screen under light

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UBS28, Jan 24, 2014.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I have a small scratch on the screen which is only visible when shining light on it and viewing it under the right angle.

Is my screen defective because my ipod and ipad doesn't get these kind of scratches? I think it was caused by just having in my jacket (no keys or anything)

2. Zyiros macrumors member

Zyiros

If there were scratches on the device out of the box, brand new, it would be the fault of the manufacturer.

Unfortunately I've found with most Apple devices, such as my old iPod Touch 5Gen, that knives can't scratch the screen, but the pocket can. :(

3. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I have the same. Time for you to get a screen protector and move on. These screens aren't as scratch resistant as people think.

4. blarivee macrumors 6502

It is possible to miss this scratch when you first open the box considering it requires specific angle and lighting. The oleophobic coating is the one that gets scratched. You may be able to hide it with a screen protector.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's easy to get microscratches on oleophobic coating and that's considered normal wear and tear so, no, your screen isn't defective.

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

As previous posters have stated it's the oleophobic coating that's has the micro scratch.

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Don't worry about it. My phone has many such scratches. They don't affect normal use and they don't weaken the screen. You can only see them when light is reflecting off the screen in a way that makes it hard to use anyway!

You can't expect something you carry around constantly like a phone to remain absolutely perfect forever. :)

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Take it to a Genius and see what kind of look you get.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. If scratches are a concern then you need to use a screen protector.

Keys are not harder than glass and will not scratch the screen. However, small hard grit (sand, quartz, etc) will certainly scratch the screen and are probably the culprit in your case as well.

If one material is harder than another it can scratch the other material. The screen itself is not the hardest material in the world and it can certainly be scratched as well. The coating isn't the only scratchable material.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I agree only way to keep it immaculate is to keep it in the box sealed and not use it.

11. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Exactly what happened to mine. I see now that it is indeed the coating that is scratched and not the screen itself because like you I can only see them at an angle under direct light and not from the lighting under the screen like a deep scratch would.