Scratches under 3G glass ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bowzer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

I noticed about 2 weeks ago that my iPhone 3G screen's glass had something under it. It didnt look like dust, and it wasn't moisture, it seems to have gotten a scratch under the glass near the top. I've only ever kept it in my pocket, and I've had it in a Griffin Elan Form case since about a week and a half after I got the phone on launch day. Is anyone else experiencing this? I tried to take a picture, my camera isn't the greatest for macro close ups, but here's the best shot I could get:

[​IMG]

It's definatly under the surface of the glass, the surface is still smooth. At first there was only the one scratch on the right, but now 2 more seemed to of appeared in the last day or two.

I wonder if there is anything I can do to prevent this, or if I should try exchanging it from where I got it? There are no apple stores in my city (Ottawa, Canada). I've babied this phone and never dropped it or put it down harshly :/

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

you might be able to go to an apple store n exchange it...id try it if i were ya, but yeah..it doesnt seem like your fault, but they might think your lying

3. bowzer thread starter macrumors 6502

bowzer

Well I called Apple and spoke with a nice lady who was really curious about the problem since they haven't really heard about it... Im getting mine sent in and replaced, since there isnt an Apple store in my city.

4. Cadium macrumors member

I have noticed the same thing on my friends 3G, in the exact same spot and almost the same shape. It's weird.

5. Asar macrumors regular

same thing happened to mine. I'll post some pics later. Weird.

6. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

Hmm.. the pic makes it look like a wire under the glass, not a scratch.

I can't see it on my phone though.