Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I noticed about 2 weeks ago that my iPhone 3G screen's glass had something under it. It didnt look like dust, and it wasn't moisture, it seems to have gotten a scratch under the glass near the top. I've only ever kept it in my pocket, and I've had it in a Griffin Elan Form case since about a week and a half after I got the phone on launch day. Is anyone else experiencing this? I tried to take a picture, my camera isn't the greatest for macro close ups, but here's the best shot I could get:

iphone3g_scratches.jpg

It's definatly under the surface of the glass, the surface is still smooth. At first there was only the one scratch on the right, but now 2 more seemed to of appeared in the last day or two.

I wonder if there is anything I can do to prevent this, or if I should try exchanging it from where I got it? There are no apple stores in my city (Ottawa, Canada). I've babied this phone and never dropped it or put it down harshly :/

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
you might be able to go to an apple store n exchange it...id try it if i were ya, but yeah..it doesnt seem like your fault, but they might think your lying

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Well I called Apple and spoke with a nice lady who was really curious about the problem since they haven't really heard about it... Im getting mine sent in and replaced, since there isnt an Apple store in my city.

Cadium

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
I have noticed the same thing on my friends 3G, in the exact same spot and almost the same shape. It's weird.

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
same thing happened to mine. I'll post some pics later. Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.