scratching head about opening multiple screens

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by barryhill, Dec 29, 2016.

1. barryhill macrumors member

Hi

I think I did something to my Mac a few days ago over the haze of xmas and a few wines, and find I cannot now open two apps at the same time on screen?

ie, before I was able to open, say, safari, and also word, and see both apps side by side on my screen so I could happily cut and paste stuff.

Now, if I open safari, then open word, the safari screen disappears?

How do I get things back to normal?

Barry

2. barryhill thread starter macrumors member

Hi
    Mm a 'solution' but before I did whatever I did, I could just open two or three apps and resize the windows to have them all on screen at the same time, obviously only one 'live' but I could click in the panel to use the app, then go back to another. At the moment, I can only have one window open, the others disappear when I click.

barryt

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Do you have your Apps Maximized (Green Button)?

If not take screen shots of what you are experiencing and post them.

4. barryhill thread starter macrumors member

Hi I don't have apps maximised. I think it would be fruitless doing a screen shot because it would (for example) just show you Thunderbird open filling up one third of the screen, then when I open Firefox, Thunderbird disappears, so there would be nothing there! You would just see firefox filling up one third of the screen.

I have a feeling this is related to single application mode, I have tried deleting the com.apple.dock.plist file, which didnt work, also I have tried the various terminal commands floating around about this, and rebooted, but no effect with either.

It really is a mystery.

Barry
    ps I do have liteswitch installed, which I read somewhere might be a culprit. I might try to uninstall that, a lengthy process ... in the meantime, any ideas would be appreciated.

5. barryhill thread starter macrumors member

This is now solved. I had DragThing installed and on reflection remembered playing with some settings, one of which effectively prevents more than one application window being open at a time. I deselected it, and it is all back to where it should be.

Thanks for everyone for your interest and support with this issue.

Barry