Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I've got a ceramic and sapphire Rado watch which is 12 years old and shows no signs of scratching on the case, bracelet or sapphire dial. I don't know how Apple can get away with this for that price.

Reactions: Billburns

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple Watch owner here with Multiple stainless models. None of them have any scratches on them after daily wear. The sapphire display has been worth the extra money spent in protecting the display. Whatever these "Tests" show has not been conducive of real word experience for me.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I own several watches with sapphire crystal faces and they are extremely difficult to scratch. I would go as far as to say Apple are marketing this product under false pretences. It’s evidently not sapphire grade crystal and it is extremely dishonest to advertise it as such.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
This same sapphire controversy seems to come up and die every single year. Some people want clicks on their channels.

Reactions: Watabou

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Apple Watch owner here with Multiple stainless models. None of them have any scratches on them after daily wear. The sapphire display has been worth the extra money spent in protecting the display. Whatever these "Tests" show has not been conducive of real word experience for me.
100% agreement and I have never been anything short of rough on my watches for every sport, yard work. Haven’t been spending too much time digging through razor blades though.

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
I will say my AW2 stainless had some pretty bad scratches on the display but my AW0 was fine.

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Hmm I guess we have to trust your anecdotal evidence over the the mohs hardness scale :rolleyes:

No wonder Apple fleeces it customers so easily...

cawsllyffant

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017

Embarrassing.

This guy again.... he seems to make a pattern of these claims.

http://www.androidauthority.com/corning-responds-samsung-galaxy-note-7-scratch-test-video-711210/
http://pocketnow.com/2017/05/06/zagg-responds-to-jerryrigeverything-scratch-test
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/16/iphone-7-undergoes-extreme-durability-test-video/

There are others, he's made the same claim about the iPhone8. I remember that last video's claims being a big deal right after my iPhone 7 arrived.

I've seen numerous people (random people on the internet whose credentials I can't verify) say that he is using the Moh's hardness scale picks incorrectly (just see the first one). Basically saying the same thing that Corning said in response but I can't speak to the veracity of that.

What I can say is that my iPhone 7 camera and home button have never scratched, nor have any of the apple watches I've owned (3rd just arrived)...even though I often workout fairly heavy kettlebells and dumbells. They would have 6.5 hardness and brush against/swipe over/bounce off of the screen with regularity, so if his tests are correct I should be seeing lots of scratches from these. [And I'm not talking about lightweight 40lbs-ers here, either... so the scratches should be pretty noticeable.]

Also, if you look at his videos it seems that every manufacturer he reviews seems to be 'lying' about the hardness of their products. (or at least most of them). And he never shows the scratches in enough detail for us to determine if he is just rubbing of a coating, or if we are seeing the material from the picks rubbing off on the sapphire.

Seems fishy to me, either an industry-wide conspiracy which everyone is keeping quiet about or one guy using his tools incorrectly.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
This same sapphire controversy seems to come up and die every single year. Some people want clicks on their channels.

Bingo and here are the same sheep following to click and watch and spread this nonsense.

I enjoy YT for some of the content creators but when crap like this is done consistently for attention and views it is unwatchable.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No wonder Apple fleeces it customers so easily...

Your last sentence seems to me you have a problem with Apple, which appears evident of the nature of your Post.

Aside from the clickbait video you posted, I have enough experience with the stainless Apple Watch model to formulate facts on my uses. And fact that I don't take razor blades to my sapphire display, as if that is supposed to serve as a real concern to others experiences? My anecdotal evidence is direct real world experience using and wearing my Apple Watches on a daily basis. None of them have scratches, nor do I need to refer to her YouTube videos to determine how durable they really are in hopes of click bait material . My tests are wearing them And by my standards, they pass with flying colors.

Last edited:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
nothing new here. In real world use the Sapphire AWs have been holding up well. We know that sapphire doesn't handle light as well as glass etc so for the AW face and camera lens they may have to use a differ formula that's not as pure?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
This guy again.... he seems to make a pattern of these claims.

http://www.androidauthority.com/corning-responds-samsung-galaxy-note-7-scratch-test-video-711210/
http://pocketnow.com/2017/05/06/zagg-responds-to-jerryrigeverything-scratch-test
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/16/iphone-7-undergoes-extreme-durability-test-video/

There are others, he's made the same claim about the iPhone8. I remember that last video's claims being a big deal right after my iPhone 7 arrived.
I'd upvote this and mark it as the best answer if this were Stack Exchange.

The misinformation and knee-jerk hysteria on these forums needs to be squashed.

Reactions: deeddawg

jags828

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
My Stainless Steel Space Black Series 2 has a scratch, no clue how it got there. But they do scratch.

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
It is pretty obvious through both my own anecdotal experience as well as actual testing done that this is a legitimate sapphire crystal. I have three other watches with sapphire crystals and I have zero doubt that this real crystal...

P.S. this may come as a shock to the OP (and other who have posted this same thread in years past)... Sapphire does scratch! From Rolexes to JLCs to PP... they can all scratch. My best advice? Try not to drill them.

Trent0341

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Some of you try so hard to defend Apple, it’s kinda sad

I would hardly call myself someone who defends Apple... I would call some of you on this thread ignorant of what sapphire crystal is. Here are a couple of facts:

1. Apple use sapphire in their stainless steel and ceramic watches. This has been verified. If you care enough you are welcome to do your own research.

2. Sapphire scratches... period. It is not some sort of indestructible material. It is, however, much better than what is on the sport watches as far as scratch resistance goes.

3. Watches generally start to show up with sapphire crystals in the $500 range giver or take. Apple is right in line with that.

I'm just kind of confused that there is anyone is surprised that sapphire (Apple or otherwise) can be scratched.

jags828

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
So let’s see the scratch.
Top left of the watch, it goes further down, hard to capture in the pic though. It’s only noticeable if you are looking for it, but once I seen it the first time, I always look for it haha.

Attachments

• AA600A05-C2BB-4A18-B4CD-A5134026CBBA.jpeg
    AA600A05-C2BB-4A18-B4CD-A5134026CBBA.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 217

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Some of you try so hard to defend Apple, it’s kinda sad

Go to eBay and look at all the Stainless Steel watches for sale and you’ll see that they all have flawless screens. Not some of them, all of them.

Then go look at all the Sports for sale. Yeah, I’d say it’s worthwhile getting the sapphire.

Reactions: wlossw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.