Scratchy noise on start-up normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ktdhc, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Ktdhc macrumors member

There's a scratchy noise for about a second when I open up the screen, it sounds like the fan or processor or something is starting back up. And this happens every single time, not just sometimes. It's not the hinges since there is no noise when the computer is turned off. Is this sound normal?

There's also a very light constant buzzing sound at all times, is that the normal sound of the fan (?) as well or am I just obsessing with it too much?

I got it about 10 days ago so I can still return it, but I'm just wondering if this is how it's supposed to be.

2. Snowcake macrumors regular

How loud is that buzzing? can you record it?
    Has it to be quiet to be heard?

3. Ktdhc thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it has to be really quiet to hear it. But I do think it's pretty normal for the fan or maybe the processor to make some sound.

The 1-second scratchy noise when I open up the screen though - it's fairly noticeable. Does that happen for anyone else?

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Apple usually uses Maglev fans in their notebooks. You should NEVER hear a grinding noise from a fan (which is the only moving part on the Macbook Air).

5. linkandzelda macrumors regular

It certainly doesn't happen for me. Theres only 2 things it could possibly be:

1. The hinge is making the noise when you open the screen, test it slowly and at different speeds to see if it is that, and
    2. the fan, as i think thats the only moving part in the thing. the processor shouldn't make a sound as it doesn't move.

I remember a fan on an old netbook used to make a "brushing" or "scrapping" sound when it started up. But that wasn't maglev.

One over thing it could be is your unit has some kind of loose or shorted out part which causes the speakers to make a crackle each time you open it from sleep. so try something: put it to sleep from the menu, then press a key or mouse button to resume it without moving the lid.

That should narrow it down to not being the hinges.

6. Snowcake macrumors regular

It is not the cpu or the fan. Some intel cpuz had the high pitch sound, this is not normal.
    I think that the buzzing is the PSU. i dont know if this is normal.
    Do more people hear this in a quiet environment? Really quiet, hold you ear on the left side.

7. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I have a buzzing sound on the left side if i put my ear up to about 5 cm away from the left side of the screen (on a 13 inch 2010 MBA). It's there during normal usage (not during startup).

It sounds like an electrical buzz to me...like the way an old light socket might buzz.

Not too worried about it since I literally have to put my face on the computer to hear it...I'll worry if it becomes more noticeable.

8. Ktdhc thread starter macrumors member

Yup tried this before and it wasn't the hinges.

Well thanks for the replies guys. I'll go and have it checked out at the store tomorrow.

9. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is normal! The noise is not a hassle at all, just forget about it and enjoy your MBA.

10. RobNor macrumors regular

The slight noise you hear on opening the screen I believe is the fan starting up and it's the fan that you can hear on the left hand side when the Air is running

11. damnyooneek macrumors 6502