screech - but not from hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by suprdave1, Apr 7, 2009.

1. suprdave1 macrumors newbie

I've got an oldie - Powerbook G4 1.33

I've heard an intermittent screeching coming from the computer. Thought it was the hard drive. Swapped it out for a different 2.5" that I had in an external enclosure that I haven't heard any such noise from. Well, the screech still happened.

The sound most often happens if I try to speed through a bunch of random songs in itunes by pushing the right arrow key (basically making the hard drive work hard to try and load each successive random song). So this is why I thought it was the hard drive.

After swapping the drive and hearing the same sound, including having the 'test' I ran produce the same results, I put my ear by the laptop while pushing the right arrow key quickly in itunes. The screech seems to be coming more from under the keyboard nearer the screen. The hard drive is under the trackpad.

What gives? Is my dear, old friend the powerbook just gonna explode?

2. suprdave1 thread starter macrumors newbie

But this sound only happens when something (particularly a song in itunes) is loading. Could this have anything to do with processing?

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Open up your computer. If you see THIS, get rid of it immediately!

Attached Files:

4. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

omg ^^^^^ hahaha that's the first thing I thought when I read the title. :D:D:D

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Is it kind of a clicking-screechy sound? The DVD drive does that sometimes for some reason.

6. suprdave1 thread starter macrumors newbie

hahahahahaha

nope, just a quick screeching noise, I now notice it every time itunes switches to the next song. As in - itunes is in random shuffle mode in full library, a song ends, then I hear a quick screech, then the next song starts. So it's like it has something to do with loading another song from the hard drive (which i think i ruled out), or processing the song for playback?