Screeching, buzzing, hissing, and/or wining noise!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Voski, May 3, 2010.

1. Voski macrumors member

So a few days ago my laptop started making this beautiful noise. It comes from the speakers and nothing can stop it. Sometimes it stops on its own but if I do anything that makes a sound (play a video, increase/decrease volume, ect...) the noise comes back again.

Yesterday I ran the extensive apple hardware test and when I restarted the problem went away. But today the problem returned.

If I plug in headphones or speakers into the audio out the sound stops coming from the macbook pro speakers and starts coming out of the attached device.

Opening and closing photobooth does nothing. Getting the CPU up to 100% does nothing. Screen brightness does not effect the intensity. It makes the noise running on battery power or if it is plugged in. It also makes the noise if nothing is attached to the laptop. If I press down on the left side near where the speaker is it changes the pitch and sometimes makes it quieter.

I bought this on July 07, 2008 so it was the newest model at that time.

2. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

That does not sound like a wining sound to me. Perhaps a whining sound.

But seriously, does it sound like the youtube video found here:http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2368297

I would take it to Apple if you have Apple care. Otherwise my apologies for not having anything more constructive for you.

3. Voski thread starter macrumors member

It sounds similar to that but slightly different. So annoying =(.

4. Voski thread starter macrumors member

Bump.

This has almost made my laptop unusable. I cant watch any videos or listen to any music or pretty much do anything without having to listen to this damn noise which is driving me insane!

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I've heard noises like this but ultimately realized it was just my wife complaining that I'm paying more attention to my MBP than her!

Seriously, have you tried disabling wireless networking and/or bluetooth? The reason I ask is that it could be an issue with shielding from the radios. Just speculation and nothing more, but easy enough to test.

6. Voski thread starter macrumors member

So I went to the apple store today and the genius determined it is a hardware issue but said he couldn't do anything more until I payed a $330 flat rate fee for them to fix it.

I am going to take it to the genius on campus since they charge $40 to diagnose the problem and then maybe I can fix it myself?

7. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

OS X turns off the speakers after some minutes (2 if I remember right) and turns them back on once a sound is played.

I noticed buzzing/whine coming from the internal speakers of my 2009 MBP 17" when any external sound interface (Firewire/USB) is connected and the frequency/tone of the whine was depending on the audiobuffer size being set for the external interface. Maybe other Firewire/USB devices affects this as well.

Plugging out the power-supply (running on battery) might help.

8. jsf404043 macrumors newbie

my laptop screeches also!

Mine is intermittent and not so loud, but it's getting on my nerves.

I don't think it comes from the speakers because turning them off/on or down has no effect.

I just hope it isn't the beginning of the end for my dear old Mac...