Screeching noise from external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Silverbird0000, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

So my external harddrive is a 320gb WD essential. It is making this horrible screeching noise when time machine does a back up or when the drive spins up. I don't know what is wrong. I only bought it 5 months ago. I e-mailed WD and was supposed to get a response back within 48 hrs. But it has been 72 hrs and still no response. Does it have a warranty? I can't find out anywhere if it does. Is it dieing? It still seems to be working perfectly. Thanks!

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Well if you contacted them over the weekend I'd try during business hours. It could be drive failure or something else. Is the drive level?

3. mac2mac macrumors member

My wd hard drive makes tapping noises and its generally noisy the longer its being used the noisier it gets im going to ask western digital about it because its getting worse.

4. Italchef macrumors 6502

Make sure that you backup everything that you have on the drive because it seriously sounds like its going to fail on you.
    Mick

5. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They finally got back to me. After many suggestions such as "try plugging it directly into the wall, not a power strip", "get to a windows computer and use the Lifeguard Diagnostics software", blah blah blah, nothing fixed it and the software said nothing was wrong. It has been progressively getting worse. I can hear it from the next room! It is level on my desk. WD suggested that it be replaced. It's only a few months old, so I don't understand how it could be failing already!! If it is to be replaced they will have to send me a new one first since I don't have room to move all the stuff on it to my iMac's internal.

6. mac2mac macrumors member

They told me to fill out this form only if the Lifeguard Diagnostics software said there was a problem which it didn't.

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/rmainfo.asp?custtype=end&lang=en

Is this the form you filled out?

7. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I told them in the e-mail that Lifeguard said it was ok, but it is still making the noise. They said it needs to be replaced. I'm going to do the advanced return that is in that link. That is the form they told me to fill out.

8. zschiffman macrumors member

that sound usually means the drive is getting scratched, which is veryyyyyy bad. replace as soon as you can :D :apple:

9. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea. It sounds like a knife is being dragged across a chalkboard!